Please don't throw out old junk home record cutters

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Please don't throw out old junk home record cutters

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:30 pm

I just heard a rather disheartening story of a repair guy having junked a whole lot of broken home record cutters when he moved his business. I'm not naming names and I don't want this thread to be about public guessing of who it is. (It's not a guy on Long Island.) As far as he could tell, nobody wanted them and nobody was willing to pay for them. But he didn't announce his plan over here, and I betcha someone(s) did want them. It all went to a bonfire and scrap yards.

Now, granted, these were probably mostly 78 rpm cutters. (Though there were some 33-45 rpm Recordettes that went up the blaze.)

And granted, none of them worked. The electronics were bad. The rubber was bad. They were all primitive systems, nothing professional. They were crap.

But here's the thing. Every week or so, I am getting a request or two from a newbie who wants to build his own lathe. I'd say that most of these people aren't looking for great fidelity.

The missing piece is the turntable. There just aren't ANY turntables being produced that have enough torque. It seems to me that, as long as these old things are mechanically sound, people could be using them as a start, and they could build new electronics for them.

I am writing this post as a plea. If you have any of this old junk, and you don't want it, post it here. If it is too much of a headache to move, I bet someone will even arrange to pick it up for you and save you a lot of labor and storage costs. I am convinced that there remains a bunch of this sort of thing, sitting around, hoarded, in parts of the United States. I even know, anecdotally, of some of this stuff, no names attached to the stories.

I am not advising anyone to go investing or speculating on this old stuff. I really don't know that there is enough money in that, and you could lose your shirt. But if you HAVE this stuff, sell or give it away, don't trash it. You will be doing some people a great service and I'm sure you could get SOMETHING for it.

Thank you.

PS. The bonfire maker still has some stuff in storage. He is going to tell me what he has....and I'll pass that info on if/when it comes. Please don't pester me for details....I'll let you all know when I know anything.

Tags: Wilcox-Gay Recordio, Rek-o-kut, Presto, Packard Bell Phone-o-cord, webcor, Webster Chicago wire recorders.

0xDA71D

Re: Please don't throw out old junk home record cutters

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:48 pm

I have a WG 8J10 and I'm desperate for a good crystal cartridge cutter. Anyone who can rebuild or has one that works, please I want to pay you for it.

Snakeheadfishlab

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:53 pm

I have a truck and storage space if needed,east coast in md.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ejemmons

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Well done, and well written, Steve. :idea:
Scully "500" with Westrex 3DIIa,
RA-1574E amps.

powerstrip

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:44 am

I don't know, man... you're preaching to the wrong crowd. Nobody here would have done that.

The only way to prevent it is to comb the streets with a megaphone preaching your message. Old people throw things like that out all the time. It's just the cycle of life, it's our job to try and find it before it hits the trash.

Packard Bell...gotta love it

ROLANDJAYS

Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:25 pm

I have 3 Wilcox cutters, 1 fully refurbished andmint ccondition and 2 spare machines , for parts . Offer me something if your interested.
There just sitting in my shop . Un loved . Lol

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:10 pm

powerstrip wrote:I don't know, man... you're preaching to the wrong crowd. Nobody here would have done that.
Except, someone who is sometimes "here" did.