Leaning back on a K8 (setting cutterhead angle)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

FFrankensteinRecords

Leaning back on a K8 (setting cutterhead angle)

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:18 pm

Hey guys,
So recently I acquired an old beat up Presto K8 out of a nice hermit's garage. I was super excited to fix it up and use it to emboss poly discs with a backwards sapphire. My other lathe is a 75A, on which the cutterhead angle of attack is fully adjustable. I was under the impression that a K8 was just a smaller 75A, so it too would have this adjustment. Now that I'm looking at it I realize the cutterhead holder is all one rigid piece. There is no way to tilt back the head.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and dealt with it?
Does anyone have any ideas?

piaptk

Re: Leaning back on a K8 (setting cutterhead angle)

Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:36 pm

You can pull the needle out a little further, or you can make a little shim out of paper or toothpicks... tape the shim to the bottom of the head carriage so that it forces the head to lean back.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Snakeheadfishlab

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 am

I had the guy on ebay who makes embossing needles to make them longer,1 7/8". It got me close to the angle,worked pretty good

kirt1974

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:01 pm

I bought one of the long shank cutting styli from Transco/Apollo and it's long enough to tilt the cutter head angle back to 5 degrees, which is the proper angle specified in the Presto manual. It works really well.

FFrankensteinRecords

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 pm

I'm embossing, so the angle I'm going for is more like 30 degrees rather than 5. The shim sounds like a good plan though. I've tried those steel embossing needles from eBay and they just don't work for me as well as sapphires.

Jesus H Chrysler

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:06 pm

I use sapphires for cutting and dull sapphires reversed for embossing on a k-10 witha 1-c head. I've never had to lean back more than 10-15 degrees to get a good cut. For regular cutting the manual calls for 5-10 degrees. In my experience using a long needle to get 30 degrees just robs you of high frequency response.

Jesus H Chrysler

Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 pm

I'm assuming you already have the head mounted as low as it will go in the carriage? Perhaps you could add a mat to the turntable to bring the cutting plane up to the head

powerstrip

Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:30 am

I have a better idea.

Why not make a hinge adapter for it? A hinge with slotted holes might get you the angle you are looking for. I have a copy of that lathe as well, and I know what you are talking about.

INNOVATE!

Fela Borbone

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Maybe something like this?
Yes, is not a k8... Turning the knob angle changes, but is not suitable to extreme angles, I find more usefull the cutting stilus backwards, just good to fine adjust,while recording. also allows more time when recording CDs( I think not a problem for a K8?) an hold the heating filaments.

Fela Borbone

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Also is important to observe if the stylus is moving along the disc radius, after setting angle by moving assembly forth or backwards