Anyone heard from Alan Graves lately? (update: he's ok)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Anyone heard from Alan Graves lately? (update: he's ok)

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Last I knew (circa January or February), our esteemed Presto expert was spending some time on the East Coast (maybe in Maryland?), and had a temporary number, which I seem to have lost. He last logged in here in June.

If anyone has current contact info or news, please private message me. thanks!

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Anyone heard from Alan Graves lately?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Alan wrote me. He's fine!!

EpicenterBryan

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Steve E. wrote:Alan wrote me. He's fine!!
Great news! Let him Know I bought the Martindale Presto 8D system and it's at my place in Eugene.
Hope the family is well.

EpicenterBryan

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:56 pm

EpicenterBryan wrote:
Steve E. wrote:Alan wrote me. He's fine!!
Great news! Let him Know I bought the Martindale Presto 8D system and it's at my place in Eugene.
Interesting update: Alan and I have been communicating via his new E-mail address. As it turns out the Presto 8D I recently acquired was once owned by him, and the stand that came with it Alan made himself. It's also the one shown on his web site! What a small world this is! When he sold it, the heater and variable pitch mods were removed, and the stock pulley access door was put back on. Like all new owners, we need to put our own twist on things. So I added some LED lighting last week under the overhead and under the scope swing arm.

I like it! What say you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aussie0zborn

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:22 am

Nice. Do the LEDs change colour?

EpicenterBryan

Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Aussie0zborn wrote:Nice. Do the LEDs change colour?
They don't. They are just single color warm white LED's.

But that brings up an interesting idea though!
How about some up lighting under the platter, so the platter would ride on a light cloud spilling light out from underneath and on the wall behind. And the color could be based of the signal strength. Like a simple VU meter (green / yellow / red and a few transition colors). Perhaps variable intensity of green based on signal below warning / yellow range.

It would be simple - an arduino processor an opamp or two, a few FET's and an RGB LED strip segment. I did something similar last year in at a friends house for accent lighting in his kitchen. The color was controllable via an iPhone, but in this case the color could be controlled by signal strength just as easily with a little extra "electronic component secret sauce".

Here is a (too long) video about that project. Skip into it a bit and think about the possibilities.

Aussie0zborn

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 pm

What a great idea. Don't forget the fog machine for added effect.