Neumann Chip Jar Seal

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Neumann Chip Jar Seal

Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:01 pm

I'd like to replace my chip jar seal. Has anyone else done this? For a Neumann lathe. If so, what did you use and where did you get it. I'd like to save myself some legwork here and avoid researching if someone already knows.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

gold

Re: Neumann Chip Jar Seal

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:09 pm

I haven't replaced mine but everything you need is at McMaster-Carr. I looked into it at one point. Look for 'gasket kit' or something like that. They have lots of different rubber edging and appropriate adhesives.

They also have adhesive backed foam if you want to replace the stuff on the manifold.

chenry57

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks Paul! I know my jar seal doesn't have much life in it & I've been pondering finding a replacement as well recently.

gold

Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 pm

McMaster also carries the correct type of hose. It's "gum rubber" hose. Latex or fish tank hose doesn't work nearly as well.