G.E. PLAY TALK RECORDER DISCS

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

MALOS

G.E. PLAY TALK RECORDER DISCS

Fri May 02, 2008 12:37 pm

“Playtalk” electronic toy for children uses a grooveless paper disk coated with “powdered” iron to record and reproduce magnetically music or voice. Records hold about two minutes of recording; can be “erased” and reused often

THIS IS WHAT i'M LOOKING FOR I need extra discs to release music on this dead piece of media and to use in a live performance setting. if anyone out there has some of these kicking around please let me know..

or if anyone know where I would be able to buy a can of spray-on powdered iron? (Does this type of product exsist??)

please email me at wintagerecords@gmail.com
WINTAGE RECORDS & TAPES
1530 QUEEN ST W C-3
TORONTO, ON.
M6R 1A6
CANADA

blacknwhite

Fri May 02, 2008 11:26 pm

Have you tried just using old magnetic computer so-called "floppy discs", pulling them out of their protective jackets? ("floppy discs" were individual removable magnetic data-storage discs for home computers - the forerunner of data CD's)

I don't know what diameter the records are supposed to be, but there are still tons of factory-sealed 5-1/4 inch floppy discs out there on ebay cheap.

Worth a try...

- Bob

tape

Mon May 05, 2008 5:04 pm

that media would be standard magnetic tape:-), just circleshaped.
I have an old dicthaphone that uses this priciple.
You would be releasing on a medium that nobody will be able to play back...but good luck!

FStephenMasek

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Did you ever find discs?

I have found one of the Playtalk units, and see that GE made 5,000 of them in 1949.
With rare exceptions, less government = more freedom, more hapiness, and more prosperity

alienmanstk

Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:16 pm

hey guys , check on ebay, there is one that just went up, starting at $150, but its in great shape, only problem......no disks! well, i bet those can be reproduced anyway, with all these great minds on here!!!! good luck!

motorino

Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:28 pm

diamone

Re: G.E. PLAY TALK RECORDER DISCS

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:52 pm

Anybody ever find or make some discs? I'd have used the old computer floppy discs taken out of the case as well - except I'd have used the 8-inch version and then re-made my spiral to accommodate the larger size - along with a template to support the extra width from underneath.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)