Presto 1C 1D repair options.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

monkey1553

Presto 1C 1D repair options.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi all,

Anybody know any options for repair of a Presto 1-D? I know Gib can fix them but was just curious if there was anyone else in the states repairing these heads.

Thanks!

Michael

EmAtChapterV

Re: Presto 1C 1D repair options.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:08 pm

There's this guy - http://www.lathetrolls.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=100097 - but he's in Australia.

What's wrong with your 1D?

monkey1553

Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks, Yeah, I just have a dead one. Not sure what's going on but it's a 500ohm and I'd like to get it rewound to 8ohm. I noticed Presto repair in Australia looks like he's doing some great work. Just was curious what our options were stateside.

Thanks,

Michael

opcode66

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:47 pm

I can wind coils.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

piaptk

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:08 am

Have you talked to Gib about repairing them recently? Last I heard he was out of the game. About 3 years ago, after paying him in advance, he "repaired" two heads that smoked immediately upon running a light load through them (he never actually plugged them up to cut to test them, just tested them as playback heads), I sent them back and waited for 6,7,8,9 months with no replies to my emails or phone calls, and out of the blue get them back in the mail with a note (and no refund) that said "I'm too busy to mess with this".
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

grooveguy

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi, Michael,

My first cutterhead was a Presto 1D, it came on an RCA lathe I begged from a radio station. Things like that were being junked back then; this was about 1961. That head was 500 ohms, and although the coil was good I had nothing convenient to drive it. So I pulled it apart, stripped all the fine wire from the two bobbins, and re-wound it with #32 magnet wire. After reassembling it (two thicknesses of typewriter paper to shim the armature from the pole pieces), it worked like a champ. Drove it with a Seeburg juke box amp. Still have the head.

If you're mechanically inclined, this is not rocket science. If you don't feel up to the job, maybe you have a friend who does. Takes about an hour and a half, if I recall. Damn, that was more than 50 years ago!

Presto Repairs

Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:41 pm

EmAtChapterV wrote:There's this guy - http://www.lathetrolls.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=100097 - but he's in Australia.

What's wrong with your 1D?

Big Thanks for the mention EmAtChapterV

Trolls - I may not be conveniently located for the masses in the USA but I am a serious option...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Presto Repairs - Repair/Restoration service for Presto Recording Corp cutterheads and other similar styled brands such as Audax, RCA & Universal

opcode66

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:22 pm

I can repair any mono coil. If that is all you need done, I can help out i the USA. If you need parts machined, I am not able to do that outside of plastic printing.

I've posted videos of my RCA coil repair and a bit on how I'm winding flat multilayer coils as well. Check my youtube channel.

Http://www.youtube.com/opcode66
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio