polycarbonate blanks : pricing now available.

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cymbalism

polycarbonate blanks : pricing now available.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 pm

hey all, i received word from my supplier and have prices for you now. clear 12 inch blanks are going to be $6 each. clear 10 inch blanks will be $5 each. black 12 inch blanks will be $7.50 each. black 10 inch blanks will be $6.50 each. if you need 7 inch blanks, i can get those too.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

blacknwhite

Re: polycarbonate blanks : pricing now available.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Don't order a batch just for me, but if you do get some BLACK-colored blanks "in stock" for resale (any size), I'd like to buy whatever your minimum order is to make it worth your while to send them out (like, 3?) - just add shipping to zip 27675 & let me know total...

- Bob

potholeskinny

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:03 pm

This is Great!! I hope you are marking it up for your trouble. I will PM you an order.
Perhaps Transparent Records
http://perhapstransparentrecords.com

cymbalism

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:15 am

im going to be placing an order in the next few days for those who have contacted me. please let me know if u would like some before i place the order for the other people so i can get them all done together :)
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

blacknwhite

Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:24 pm

sent you PM

piaptk

Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:34 pm

Are you cutting the circles yourself or is the supplier cutting them on a Cnc machine?
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

cymbalism

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:34 am

they are done on a cnc machine and drilled in the center so all you need to do is peel the protective cover off and start cutting :)
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

cymbalism

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:37 pm

if you havent contacted me and ordered some blanks, please send me your requests so i can get them in woth the orders i have already gotten. for those of you who have paid already, i should have your blanks by the end of this week and will send them out the day i pick them up. thanks to everyone who has ordered. i should have a website up and running very soon to make orders easier. hang tight for that information as it unfolds.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

cymbalism

Thu May 06, 2010 8:55 pm

a few trolls have contacted me wanting more blank polycarbonate records and i'm trying to get a couple more orders in to cut down on the prices for everyone before i order the next batch.

if anyone would like to get some, please contact me via the forum with your requests and what colour you would like them in (clear, black, white, red, blue, green, etc) and i'll get back to you with a total.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

piaptk

Thu May 06, 2010 9:23 pm

cymbalism wrote:a few trolls have contacted me wanting more blank polycarbonate records and i'm trying to get a couple more orders in to cut down on the prices for everyone before i order the next batch.

if anyone would like to get some, please contact me via the forum with your requests and what colour you would like them in (clear, black, white, red, blue, green, etc) and i'll get back to you with a total.
They make polycarbonate in all those colors? I've only seen acrylic in those colors. Are they opaque or translucent?
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

cymbalism

Thu May 06, 2010 11:17 pm

piaptk wrote:
cymbalism wrote:a few trolls have contacted me wanting more blank polycarbonate records and i'm trying to get a couple more orders in to cut down on the prices for everyone before i order the next batch.

They make polycarbonate in all those colors? I've only seen acrylic in those colors. Are they opaque or translucent?
my supplier can get them in each of those colours - opaque or translucent, at least thats what they told me when i first started buying from them close to a year ago - i'll double check with them but i'm pretty sure they can. it's a pretty serious supplier and they handle a LOT of businesses around the states. it's all manufactured by makrolon / bayer. plus they cut them on a cnc machine and drill them for me so there's nothing to do but peel the protection off and cut them. they said they can also get 1/32" thickness instead of what i normally get which is 1/16". i prefer the thicker plates to the thinner but that's me.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

TonyJenkynx

Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:41 pm

How would I order some red poly carbonate blanks.....I'm new to this group. Thanks in advance.

opcode66

Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:53 pm

This person dropped out of cutting and supplying blanks.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

piaptk

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm

You are going to be very hard pressed to find polycArbonate in any colors other than clear, white, black, and super thick smoke grey or smoke amber. Believe me, I've been looking for years, calling everyone. The plastic can be made to order, but you have to order a minimum of two tons of it, so NOBODy stocks it. I'm hoping that one day I'll Chance upon a supplier who had to order it and has a bit left over...
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

TonyJenkynx

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:58 pm

Well I'll take any color,just point me in the direction to order some blank disc so I can start cutting. Any help please???

opcode66

Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:56 pm

I'll ask my plastics people.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

tragwag

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:07 pm

I usually sell some 7" squares on ebay, but I'm out of stock at the moment.
I'll have some up within a few weeks though, and will post the link here.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

MCD

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:48 am

Hi Guys,
I also discovered I'd be needing polycarb blanks. I looked at many on the net and overseas but didn't get the price or finish I was looking for and this thread wasnt active when I started looking, plus folks here using my cutting service want round disks. By pure chance I was at a local supplier on an unrelated job and found a source that can make 7" 10" and 12" poly blanks in black, clear, white as well as red, blue and green to custom order (also other exotic colors with longer lead times). Clear, it seems, will always be cheaper as they produce more of that in volume as a glass substitute. I am working on the 1/32" thickness as its closer to acetate proportions 'psychioloigically' and 'technically'. They can actually diamond polish the edges too but I doubt that will be needed, and they may be able to supply the larger diameter hole of 45 blanks if anyone was interested.

I am currently having several of my blanks tested for unbiased reports. If anyone is also game to cut on 7", 10" and 12" for me I will send a free blank, but I want a written testimonial/report back (I'd also like stereo and mono reports) - with all the dirt LOL! You need not send the disk back but an authentic sample MP3 would be nice to evaluate. I am looking at $5-$6 price per piece for a 10 pack order and lightly better for larger quantities. I trust that in the U.S. I can also ship these media mail and keep costs down.

Anyone interested?

Oh, I also have someone to make me blank vinyl 45's and albums, but before I even start on, that does anyone have any experience recording/cutting/etching on that medium?

tragwag

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:10 pm

$5-6 per piece for 7" round?
or what size?

tragwag

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:41 pm

if anyone's interested, 25 square 7" polycarbonate blanks $60 with free shipping in the US.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SQUARE-7-034-Record-Cutting-Blanks-25-ct-/181660492468?