Vacuum Tube Clogging Issue VR

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

SUNBEARS

Vacuum Tube Clogging Issue VR

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Hey trolls.

Every so often, I run into a clogging issue with our VR vacuum system and I just can't figure out why it's happening. I've tried all the tricks that I know about - And yes I've seen Opcode66's plastic cutting guide - but I was wondering if this is just par for the cutting course or if I'm just totally missing something. I doesn't bother me often, but 3 times today on side B of a 40 minute LP reallllly get's me fired up! Oof..

Any insight and or moral support is welcomed.

Cheers,
J
Berlin is a Mastering Engineer and Multidisciplinary Artist based at The Loft Studio, Los Angeles, CA

tragwag

Re: Vacuum Tube Clogging Issue VR

Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:55 pm

I find the same thing, usually I spray a little anti static when I see it start to lose pickup.
or at the least, brush the chip out of the way to save the cut.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

opcode66

Re: Vacuum Tube Clogging Issue VR

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:15 pm

I find that once chip starts falling on a plastic cut, the cut is wasted. You can hear noise where the chip was interfering with the cutting process. Since the plastic tends to ball up right around the stylus point typically, unlike with lacquer.

I find that using an ionizer on the disc before cutting helps. Also, run some talcum powder through your vacuum system. It helps to reduce friction and cause static in the tube.

Watch my plastic cutting guide.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio