Need help - Presto 8D overhead

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

EpicenterBryan

Need help - Presto 8D overhead

Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:17 pm

For unknown reasons, my Presto 8D over head kicked into reverse in the middle of a cut. And it's stuck like that - inside to out (not outside to in). Not only did I not know it was possible for the overhead to go the other direction, imagine my surprise when my stylus started re-cutting in the opposite direction down to aluminum. There goes $100. Now when I turn the manual advance knob on the overhead lead screw, it actually goes backwards.

Does anyone know what I do to get it back into outside to inside movement?
Hey "Presto Fan" and KrisD" HELP!

Bryan

EpicenterBryan

Re: Need help - Presto 8D overhead

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:25 pm

Solved:

KrisD sent me an E-mail explaining that a knurled piece on the right side of the lead screw moved into the wrong position.

For future reference, this is the position for normal outside to inside:
IMG_3946.JPG
And this is the position for inside to outside movement:
IMG_3947.JPG
I'm going to print a plastic clip ring to fill the gap keeping the part it in the outside - in position. If anyone wants one, let me know.

Thanks again KrisD!

Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.