What sort of Real Estate is needed to operate a cutter?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ArchaicRecords

What sort of Real Estate is needed to operate a cutter?

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:28 pm

You wouldn't house & operate a Presto or Scully lathe in just any room, would you? What kind of shop environment do any of you recommend? Is your space similar to a metal-working shop? Do you need a fireproof environment, due to the heating elements and the highly flammable chip?
Also, does a vacuum normally come with a cutter, or do you add it yourself for certain machines?
archaicrecords.com

emorritt

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Just a generally clean environment to keep dust to a minimum. I operated a Presto 6N in my home for years, and know several people who have operated a Neumann or Scully in their home. With the larger, heavier machines you need to make sure the floor will hold them. A neumann or scully should be on concrete, not a wood joist type floor as in the main or second floor of an average home. As far as the chip is concerned, just don't throw your cigarette butts in the chip jar... it won't spontaneously combust otherwise.

drdub

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:46 pm

make sure that there are no "bad vibes" coming in from the outside.
setting up a delicate machine lake a neumann vms next to a busy highway, or railroad might pose problems.

otherwise make sure your acustical environment is ok, so you don't get tired working. to me the acoustics in a room are really important, as they are affecting your work tremendiously...

also have the vacuum cleaner, or vacuum pump in another room. the noise will otherwise drive you cracy.

cheers
mex
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

Doug6N

Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi:

I have my 6N and all equipment in the front room of my apartment. I put the vacuum out on the lanai when I'm using the lathe. :D

The setup serves as a conversation peice sometimes. And the cats don't mind. Now if I had a wife or girl friend that might make a difference.

Old batchelor and can do as I please. :)

Doug