reel to reel

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tragwag

reel to reel

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:26 pm

I've been toying with the idea of incorporating reel to reel in my setup (mostly for live recording, effects, and mastering)
but also keeping it versatile enough to use in the cutting chain.
I use fixed pitch lathes at the moment, so no need for a preview head at this juncture.

I know there's many types out there, I seem to usually run into the consumer type, 4 track, cheaper decks that just aren't entirely worth fixing up.

I'm also fairly familiar with the pro level, having worked on a Studer A827 24 track 2", and Otari MTR10 2 track 1/4", and older Revox B77? decks in college. I know of the quality MCI decks at Mara Machines, though it's out of my price range at the moment.

Mostly interested in 1/4" 2 track machines, 7.5 and 15 IPS
If anyone has advice on a fairly quality deck, in some sort of mid level price range I'd be grateful for any tips!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

gold

Re: reel to reel

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:23 pm

MTR-10's or 12's usually don't go for a lot of money and parts are available. They are great work horses but are clean without much of a sound. The lower grade MX5050 are also good but they are very popular and probably go fr more than an MTR10.

I'd go for a Revox or Studer B67. Prices seem to be all over the place these days. I'm personally not a big fan of MCI machines although they can sound good.

Find a good tape machine tech and budget for a full restore. I'd say condition is more important than brand.

mischmerz

Re: reel to reel

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:58 pm

We have made very good experiences with Otari MX 5050. Our machines are able to play and record 2- and 4 tracks with speeds from 3 3/4, 7 1/2 and 15 ips. Lots of parts and units available in different configurations.

m.