starting a war here... (cutting on virgin vinyl related)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rsimms3

Re: starting a war here... (cutting on virgin vinyl related)

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:22 am

My understanding is that "virgin" vinyl is vinyl that has never been pressed into a record previously. The excess trim that is cut off of records is often recycled by grinding it up and mixing it in with new vinyl to produce another record.

mischmerz

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:14 pm

rsimms3 wrote:My understanding is that "virgin" vinyl is vinyl that has never been pressed into a record previously. The excess trim that is cut off of records is often recycled by grinding it up and mixing it in with new vinyl to produce another record.
But the record companies buy the material in form of little pellets - they don't know whether or not it contains recycled materials?

m.

sat159p1

Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:44 pm

AFAIK virgin vinyl is not made from recycled stuff. just pure new stuff.

socialroots

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Starting a war, really? Whats the point? What gain are YOU after IF you win this war? HQ is very subjective thing, is there a law or regulation regarding what is HQ, whos the point of view is the truth? Stop wasting your time worrying, complaining about what others do, just control what you can control and get on with cutting RECORDS. This post starting to bring back dejavu of our Nihonjin/Polski friend!

Sillitoe

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:15 am

You'll have a better time with "promiscuous plastic" than "virgin vinyl" :lol:

Myshank is the best in the biz!

Soulbear

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:04 am

The Terminology in the title of this Thread STINKS!!!!

Soulbear

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

War is a totally inappropriate term, for example one could have used :-
Discussion, analysis, argument, conference, consideration, consultation, controversy, conversation, debate, deliberation, dialogue, discourse, dispute, examination, exchange,meeting, review,scrutiny, symposium, wrangling, altercation, argumentation, canvas, colloquy, confabulation, contention, disputation, dissertation, excursus, groupthink, huddles, meet, powwow, quarrel. The English language is a rich and varied one. Please use appropriate language, there is enough BAD SH*T happening worldwide, no need for unneccessary bellicosity here on this forum!! The title of this post is OFFENSIVE!! My 2 Pennyworth

pellegrino707

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:42 am

Well guys, i sincerely think the thread starter has no idea of what he is speaking about....

Pressed records are made of part of recycled vinyl and part of "pure" vinyl, so they are not vergin or whatever.

What i cut (Myshank blancks) is PVC, and vinyl is PVC, so if i say that i cut on vinyl i am right.

Vinyl is a plastic.

I tried to cut on PC or other plastics and they sound much worse than the pvc discs i buy from myshank, so i want to clear that i am cutting a different material in front of other cutters that use PC plastic to save money, because the sound result that i get from myshank PVC is far better than any other plastic disc outside.

sat159p1

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:51 am

Damn, a lot of you missed the sense of my first post (pellegrino). Sorry for the WAR in the title, I did not meant bad meaning :)