Wilcox Gay Recorordio vs Meissner 9-1065

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Romoorio

Wilcox Gay Recorordio vs Meissner 9-1065

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Hey guys,

I'm researching these two lathes, both for sale near me (I think). I'm new to the cutting game and this will be my first lathe. I'm happy to use it as a project to get to learn cutting before upgrading.

I'm wondering about the pros and cons of each. Also, both machines are 110v whereas my power supply is 230v (New Zealand). How easy would it be to replace the motor? As I say, I'm happy to use this as a project.

Each will probably cost me around $500NZ ($350USD). Is this good value? Please remember NZ is in the middle of nowhere so most things are usually more expensive here.

Thanks for the help.

Romoorio

ArchaicRecords

Re: Wilcox Gay Recorordio vs Meissner 9-1065

Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:21 pm

Code: Select all

I only have experience with the Meissner.   It's difficult to get the cutting head to cut with nice clear signal. It seemed to work well once or twice after repairs, but after that the volume seems to be a bit too low, and you're taking a risk if you crank up the volume since at some point it can be burned out I believe.   Also, the lathe doesn't go far enough into the center, there's about an inch-and-a-half of disc space that goes unused (from the label out).  The lathe cuts at an angle more equivalent to a regular straight-arm tone-arm, not like the tangential (straight-across) cutting system like most lathes.
archaicrecords.com

tragwag

Re: Wilcox Gay Recorordio vs Meissner 9-1065

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:27 pm

I would honestly save your money. anything with a crystal cutting head will be a disappointment, even at it's best performance.
Having owned a recordette (I paid $65 for it, working) and a meissner (got it very cheaply, did minimal work),
they're really not all that useful to learn the standards of cutting on either.

the only scenario I would suggest the portable crystal cutters for, is cutting CDs or picnic plates on, on an experimental basis.

a Presto/Rek O Cut/Fairchild machine would be much more worth your time and investment.
these are setup much more like pro lathes, and the results can be quite good!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com