PRESTO PORTABLE Record Cutter Type K-8 Playing ARM Needed

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

manta1138

Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:31 am

As I said in a previous post, I just scored a minty Presto K-8 for a song and am getting acquainted with it slowly but surely. I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, just in case it is, my playing arm is missing and I thought I'd ask you folks if anyone had one laying around that they could spare. Also I read that my cutter head might need a rebuild. How can I tell? How do I test/check it out. Somebody told me I'd have to replace the dampening material and have it remagnetized. Does that sound correct? Can I do it my self? Which record blanks do I need for this unit? Where can I get them? thanks for any help.

Jesus H Chrysler

Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:53 pm

unless you plan to restore it to original, you don't really need a playback arm (if you have another turntable for playing records on) It's prpbably better to use a more modern deck for playback anyway since the older needle tend to track much heavier and will wear out your records faster.

manta1138

Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:24 pm

I wanted to restore it to original condition. I have plenty of turntables for playback.

Also I read that my cutter head might need a rebuild. How can I tell? How do I test/check it out. Somebody told me I'd have to replace the dampening material and have it remagnetized. Does that sound correct? Can I do it my self? Which record blanks do I need for this unit? Where can I get them? thanks for any help.

VRCM

Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:34 pm

What type of head do you have? Test the resistance to see if it is open. Also what is the impedence?
Tim