T560, Presto, Vortex...any suggestions?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

exil

T560, Presto, Vortex...any suggestions?

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi everybody!
I would like to purchase a lathe cutter, but I'm really confused. I watched many videos on YT and read almost all specs but not yet decided which one to choose...I'm more into T560 but would very much appreciate an opinion from an experienced guy/owner/engineer.
Which one would sound the best? Any tips, positive/negative or what to avoid?
Many thanks in advance for your help :)

boryo

Re: T560, Presto, Vortex...any suggestions?

Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:40 am

Vortex is SCAM, so be careful there. If you want better sound then go with VR but in most of the cases you can not just buy it like anything on the net then you are left with other vintage machines. You can with the vintage machines and with some mods you can have stable platter but you will be limited by the mono head. Of course, you can find a stereo head and with some machining you can make it work with vintage lathes like Presto.
Search the forum, I think there was 'Neabie guy' thread, a lot of infos there.

Good luck

exil

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:35 am

Hi boryo,
Thanks so much for your reply and infos, I really appreciate it very much!
I think I read that post before...says how hard it is to contact with Souri, so I imagine even if I had a T560 it would be extremely difficult to find parts or service.
My second thought was Presto n6 or Hara HF-2000(stereo). Do you think with a good tunning I could ever achieve a respectful sound equal with VR's?
Many thanks once again:)

boryo

Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:15 am

To be honest I don't know because I never used any of them but Presto drive its platter using a rubber pulley which produces some rumble. I think you will need to convert to direct drive for the platter. Second is the cutting head. There are some guys here making stereo heads and a couple of other projects on the go, which means you can get Presto and then a stereo head but it will take you some time. Also, there is another guy that makes external motor units for Presto like lathes. You can check this fb group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/363684670694602
There is also a guy in the group that makes stereo heads but I'm not sure if he sells them yet or only demonstrate them. Look for Konstantin Tokarev's posts in the group

Hope this helps

exil

Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:04 pm

Thank YOU so much for all info boryo!
Will check them out.

boryo

Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:15 am

Here is link to the drive mod of rek-o-kut: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9263
So now you need only the stereo head

exil

Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:06 am

Cool, thanks! However I would prefer to cut than emboss. Do you think it's possible to adapt a cutting head on a Presto or Rek-o-kut and get a respectful/good sound? And would that be flexible enough considering time/frequencies/groove distance?

boryo

Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:43 am

yes, i don't consider embossing as an option, all these lathes are made to cut, its just many people using them to emboss

soeffingodly

Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:57 am

Vortex is a scam. Don't fall for it.

Love my VR.

But also loved my Presto 6N. Those stereo heads built by Konstantin Tokarev' are no joke. The only struggle is getting something set up for suction due to low clearance under the head. Far from impossible though.

My vote would be either a VR or grab a 6N from Mike (providing he has any stock) and then get that stereo head.

Good luck.

-S
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

exil

Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:23 pm

Thanks both for your info. Actually I do like VR, but where is it...? Didn't hear the best things about Souri with whoever I contacted, so...no option for it:(
6n would be a good option, could install some elastic/plastic tube near the stylus connected with some vacuum or at least maybe a soft brush on record collecting fibers.
Thanks once again for your assistance!

soeffingodly

Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:23 pm

exil wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:23 pm
Thanks both for your info. Actually I do like VR, but where is it...? Didn't hear the best things about Souri with whoever I contacted, so...no option for it:(
6n would be a good option, could install some elastic/plastic tube near the stylus connected with some vacuum or at least maybe a soft brush on record collecting fibers.
Thanks once again for your assistance!
Souri is very particular about how he runs his show. Personally, I have had nothing but great interactions with him. Did you contact him regarding traveling to Germany to get a VR? Sometimes it takes quite a while for him to get back to you. It took him a while to get back to me but everything went off smoothly and the Germany trip was amazing. Definitely want to go back and really explore.

I think with the 6N you might need to mount the suction from over the top/front as I am not sure there is enough clearance underneath with the TKV stereo head but I can't really speak to it since I have neither in my possession.

If you do purchase from Mike he'll get you up and cutting QUICKLY and his machines are guaranteed to work out-of-box. I can't stress how instrumental he was in getting me into record cutting. I have zero regrets about my purchase from him. Aside from wishing I had enough $$ to keep the 6N and VR simultaneously. :)

Best of luck!

exil

Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks for your info! Much appreciated.
You had a 6n with the mono head/emboss, right? Or had you ever installed any stereo cutter on it? My question has to do with the result in sound quality between VR and 6n+stereo cutter...could we say it would ever sound same good?
Regarding TKV on a facebook post #recordcutter by Konstantin Tokarev Assatiani (July 17, 2020): "A rework of a piece of mine recorded on polycabonate plastic with sapphire embossing needle". So it says about embossing needle...could it be replaced by a diamond cutting one?

Thanks and all the best:)

soeffingodly

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:02 am

exil wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:52 pm
Thanks for your info! Much appreciated.
You had a 6n with the mono head/emboss, right? Or had you ever installed any stereo cutter on it? My question has to do with the result in sound quality between VR and 6n+stereo cutter...could we say it would ever sound same good?
Regarding TKV on a facebook post #recordcutter by Konstantin Tokarev Assatiani (July 17, 2020): "A rework of a piece of mine recorded on polycabonate plastic with sapphire embossing needle". So it says about embossing needle...could it be replaced by a diamond cutting one?

Thanks and all the best:)
I had a 6N with a 1C mono head, yes. I started out embossing. (Cheaper than cutting with diamonds) With the stereo head, (from what I've heard) it will def be compatible if you cut with diamonds. (The TKV heads are pretty dope) You can also emboss with the stereo head. I suggest starting out with embossing and then move into cutting. My only beef with embossing is you can't scratch the records. That and being stuck mono made me go with the VR. (Heads were in the works but not released at that time, this was a while back)

The big draw with the 6N is that it is a TANK. There is a reason people are still using them. If you go with the VR, while it was engineered for a 1200, you'd be better off getting a high torque deck like a Technics SP-10 MK2. But that isn't cheap. The 1200's just don't have the torque on the outer rim. The Presto's will have as much torque as you need. The big plus with the VR is that the lpi is controlled by a knob, the 6N is handled by a feedscrew. So depending on what lpi you need the feedscrew needs to be swapped with the 6N. Luckily Mike has these machined.

Hope this helps.

-S

boryo

Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:37 pm

soeffingodly, I don't want to emboss for the same reason - scratch.
Regarding VR, I'm running mine with Technics SP 15, which is twice cheaper than SP 10 MK2 and works fine.

exil

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:22 am

To my taste the ideal would be a 6n with a stereo cutting head but I haven't seen any on YT/net...on the other I'm not sure if with a stereo head you can reach the near-center grooves on a 6n. Any knowledge/suggestions on that?

soeffingodly

Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:03 pm

boryo wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:37 pm
soeffingodly, I don't want to emboss for the same reason - scratch.
Regarding VR, I'm running mine with Technics SP 15, which is twice cheaper than SP 10 MK2 and works fine.
I have both and worry my SP-15 will go haywire and start running backward. haha. Since the parent company doesn't exist anymore it's hard to get your hands on those chips. The SP-10's are easier to work on. At least if I understand all the information I've read/researched thus far. Hope you continue having good luck with your deck though!

MEGAMIKE

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:51 pm

hi exil
if you really want to cut past the label ie small records ,then the VR will do this no other lathe can do this. heres a vid I did with a half inch record https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdE3IMXkEX4
and for stereo heads on prestos you can make a head to size or get someone to do this the 6n is a bit of a squeeze but the 8n and my 16b(stand alone) theres more room to mount a stereo head.
also nothing wrong with a diamond on a mono head ..

exil

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:57 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:51 pm
hi exil
if you really want to cut pass the label ie small records ,then the VR will do this no other lathe can do this. heres a vid I did with a half inch record https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdE3IMXkEX4
and for stereo heads on prestos you can make a head to size or get someone to do this the 6n is a bit of a squeeze but the 8n and my 16b(stand alone) theres more room to mount a stereo head.
also nothing wrong with a diamond on a mono head ..
Hi MEGAMIKE!
Thanks a lot for your info & advice! Wow, your nano-record looks unbelievable, I bet you hit Guinness record:)
Well, I stepped on your website & saw the Sillitoe lathe! Looks cool & minimal designed, but what about its quality? Does it sound like a VR cut, better or worst? Do you know the cost, on Sillitoe's site there's no such info...
Thanks

MEGAMIKE

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:11 pm

hi ...yes the lathe is amazing, quality is second to none..but I don't work for them only have photo on my site as its from my city and iam very proud that something like that comes from my home town..
.contact James he's really Kool guy..
Last edited by MEGAMIKE on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MEGAMIKE

Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 pm

as for Guinness I haven't heard anything from them, I submitted my info and vid..maybe someone beat me to it or stole my idea.