Chip Jar - EU

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

Chip Jar - EU

Thu May 26, 2022 6:03 am

Hi!

I tear through chip jar lids pretty quickly, Souri is dispatching one to me, but i want something sturdier that will last.

Has anyone got any up to date links on good replacements in the EU? Maybe plastic body with wooden top for example.

Thanks!

farmersplow

Re: Chip Jar - EU

Thu May 26, 2022 12:45 pm

Unfortunately, my English is not the best. By "chip jar" do you mean the chip catcher? If so, I would like to inform you that I am currently experimenting with a separator. Been using it for two weeks and so far I am satisfied. The chip does not fall down into the container because it is too light, but it does stick to the top and can be easily removed.:
61Kzy0vxPCL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Greetings from Austria
Thomas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Discomo

Thu May 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Hey there :) Any chip jar should be fine to be honest…
The problem arises when opening the lid while the suction is on. This creates a high tension to the lid which eventually will rip. I’ve also ripped one before.
Best turn off the suction before opening the lid. This saves you so much money and it works! :D

PMST

Fri May 27, 2022 2:37 am

Discomo wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:32 pm
Hey there :) Any chip jar should be fine to be honest…
The problem arises when opening the lid while the suction is on. This creates a high tension to the lid which eventually will rip. I’ve also ripped one before.
Best turn off the suction before opening the lid. This saves you so much money and it works! :D
It would be impossible to open mine whilst vacuum is on, i have a huge vacuum as it is for multiple lathes, but its strong enough to rip these plastic lids off every few months! Made a wooden solution for now, not perfect but will do.

PMST

Fri May 27, 2022 2:38 am

farmersplow wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:45 pm
Unfortunately, my English is not the best. By "chip jar" do you mean the chip catcher? If so, I would like to inform you that I am currently experimenting with a separator. Been using it for two weeks and so far I am satisfied. The chip does not fall down into the container because it is too light, but it does stick to the top and can be easily removed.:

61Kzy0vxPCL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Greetings from Austria
Thomas
Interesting, will look into this

misjah

Fri May 27, 2022 4:47 am

i just made one from pvc pipe and top and bottom from aluminium. this is for vacuum on DMM which is much stronger than anything you need. for VR you can basically use any container.

David34

Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:40 pm

Hello, I created a thread on here about this. Got a wooden one from K mart..