Rebuild/replace crystal phono cartridge

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mratx

Rebuild/replace crystal phono cartridge

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 pm

I have an old Rek-O-Kut 78 lathe that I mostly used for demonstrating how record cutting works, which has an Astatic B2 crystal phono cartridge (cutting head is a magnetic Audak Co art deco model.) Apparently someone had previously rebuilt it using an actual crystal, but it's now failed again. I'm trying to determine whether to rebuild it with a piezo element, or replace it with something like a mono ceramic cartridge. A couple of questions: Has anyone done the rebuild with a piezo, and if so, what do you recommend using as the damping material? Or has anyone replaced a crystal playback cartridge with a ceramic or even a magnetic, and if so, any tips? The sizing and tracking force look to be the main issues, as the current cartridge is designed for a lot of tracking force, and the arm has no adjustment.

Thanks,

Mark