Xray : a new post

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

nikc

Xray : a new post

Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:38 pm

Hello all
I have been reading past posts about cutting xrays and noticed there hasn't been any recent ones.
I am attempting to cut on xray. They are old xrays from at least 25 years ago. I am using a myshank diamond; previous post suggested that this worked. I am of course a bit worried that I will damage the stylus. I am keeping the weight low.
So having problems with the swarf not going up the tube and sticking to the xray. This problem has had a mention in an old post.
Has anyone else tried xray recently or have any info that can help please.
Regards
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

boryo

Re: Xray : a new post

Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:31 am

I suppose that swarf not going inside the tube might be because of the lower weight. If you do the same with normal blank you will have the same results. I'm wondering how you keep the xray flat?

nikc

Re: Xray : a new post

Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:02 am

Thanks yes I'll increase the weight slightly. The same weight is OK with myshank blanks, the lowest I can have with myshank blanks. But myshank blanks maybe softer. And yes with even less weight and myshank blanks the swarf is too light to go up the tube and gets in a tangle.
The xray dropped swarf is very sticky. Perhaps I should have less or more stylus heat.
I'm using an old stylus to perhaps should risk the increased weight.

The xrays seems to be keeping flat. They are thick enough to not be buclking up. They are a little thicker than a old flexi disc I have. Perhaps as the weight is low the stylus isn't tearing it up which is my worry.
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records