microscope needed

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cymbalism

microscope needed

Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:29 am

can anyone help with the magnification amount needed for proper groove viewing or a possible substitute i could pick up to use? i cant find a scope for a 6N anywhere and i'd like to see what i'm doing. i'm sure i read it's 40X but i'm not sure.

thanks guys!
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

mossboss

Microscope

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:25 am

Make sure it is a measuring micro in other words it has a micron scale built into it This will allow you to see the width of your cut, a built in light and the proper mounting bracket so as to slide along, Other choices:
Mitituoyo did and do make a hand held job for the fashion industry so as to count threads on fine fabric etc They do come up on ebay quite often for a few dollars as against the Ex Scully one I saw recently with a starting price of 350 US It will do the trick for you They are about 20 or 30 x with a small built in globe and pencil battery aaa I think The other low cost option is a lens from a terrestial telsescope some of them are really cheap for what they do Just get the magnification you need and junk the rest Also a good source is the older plate makers in printing shops they do not even get a bid now days on ebay and they have some amazing optics in them including a scale They can be quite large but than again it will cost you almost Nix and there is enough room any way The zeis ikon lens on some older digital cameras that are also cheap could also serve your purpose I am sure you can find a fixing method for it and it will focus at the right mounted distance
Cheers

markrob

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:47 am

Hi,

I hacked and modified a flea market student Bausch & Lomb microscope form the 1950's for this ($40 US). I'm sure you can find something similar on ebay for cheap.

There was an ebay auction a few weeks ago for the microscope for an 8N that I was following. Went for way too much money! IIRC, almost as much as I paid for my 6N lathe.

http://home.comcast.net/~markrob1066/pwpimages/Scope1.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~markrob1066/pwpimages/Scope2.JPG

You can see my crude contraption using plumbing fittings. I'm still working to get a nice lighting setup, but it works for now using an adjustable work lamp. You can see the arm of this in the background of one of the pictures.

I picked up a low cost 3 megapixel USB microscope camera on ebay. See current ebay item number 250490869552 for details ($125 US). Its available all over the net from many sellers. The model is DC130. The software that is provided is great because after some simple calibration, you can use it to make acurate measurments. It also allows you to create a real-time on-screen overlay to simulate a measuring reticle. Works really well. If you don't want to spring for a USB camera, there are low cost 10X microscope eyepieces available with measuring reticles (e.g. ebay item 400008838695 $35 US).

I'm heading to Italy for a couple of weeks on vacation, so I won't be able to respond until I return. Hopefully, you'll get some ideas from this.

Mark

markrob

Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:09 am

Hi,

I forgot to answer your basic question. The magnification should be around 40X. My setup has 50X and 100X available.

Mark

cymbalism

Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:16 pm

i saw the one on ebay and bid on it but there was no way i was paying over $250 for it. everyone i've spoken to about it said i should be able to find one for less than $150 which is still high i think.

thanks for the feedback guys! guess i'm gonna hunt for a new toy this weekend
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

mossboss

Lathe microscope

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Hey All
Interesting to see how the diff in age works here Mark shows a micro with a USB port and software I am talking old fashioned stuff like camera bits and other stuff that I am aware off to do the trick at low cost Well it is the journey after all
OK Cymbalism (is this anything to do with cymbals or what?) here is something for you if you wish to pursue it ebay item no 360192568944
Not 100% but almost there The optics on them are brilliant and also scaled Not 100% for our needs it needs to "see" down but with your new machinist friends you should be sweet for a small mod to suit your setup
It has a sliding function but not quite enough to run across the 5-6" but it will cover enough to tell you you are on the right path
Any way it should not run up any more than $70-100 machinist's only know how to charge not to spend (ha)
Cheers

markrob

Lathe microscope

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Caio from Rome,

Found some break time touring Rome, Naples, and Lucca Italy, so I thought I'd cath up.

Mossy, you might be surprised to know I'm 53, probably not far from your age. I'm just a bit of software junkie. But you are right on that many times simpler is better. In fact, you can pull the USB head off my monstrosity an use a standard exepiece with a measurment reticle just like the old days.

Mark

cuttercollector

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:39 pm

And what about a stylus microscope? I know how to look at playback styli but am frustrated trying to see why a particular cutting stylus does not work properly.
What tips are there to look for beyond obvious blunting or broken tips?
I am generally speaking of the old steel styli for home large groove cutting but is some of it generally applicable to pro microgroove heated jewel styli as well?

mossboss

Re: Lathe microscope

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:27 pm

markrob wrote:Caio from Rome,

Mossy, you might be surprised to know I'm 53, probably not far from your age. I'm just a bit of software junkie.

Mark
Spring Chicken you are mate I am pushing 60+1 soon Well I decided that after 6-7 years of cobol based program development I was going to be out of that game and never regreted it All the same I do like analysis in logical steps just like any program and together with mech engineering it makes a formidable combo of usefull skills It does help one to stay sane in the vinyl game the practical side of doing the job Arghhhh
Enjoy your Italian adventure If you are heading up north you may want to drop in and visit Phil at discoelite since he had his machine just delivered and frantically working in setting it up
Cheers

mossboss

Software Junkie

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Hey This may put a smile on your face while in Italy Mark
It just poped in while replying to you I am not sure if it has been around a while but it is quite funny I think
OK
You have to be old enough to remember Abbott and Costello, and too old to REALLY understand computers, to fully appreciate this. For those of us who sometimes get flustered by our computers, please read on...

If Bud Abbott and Lou Costello were alive today, their famous sketch, 'Who's on First?' might have turned out something like this:

COSTELLO CALLS TO BUY A COMPUTER FROM ABBOTT

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?

COSTELLO: Thanks. I’m setting up an office in my den and I'm thinking about buying a computer.

ABBOTT: Mac?

COSTELLO: No, the name's Lou.

ABBOTT: Your computer?

COSTELLO: I don't own a computer. I want to buy one.

ABBOTT: Mac?

COSTELLO: I told you, my name’s Lou

ABBOTT: What about Windows?

COSTELLO: Why? Will it get stuffy in here?

ABBOTT: Do you want a computer with Windows?

COSTELLO: I don't know. What will I see when I look at the windows?

ABBOTT: Wallpaper.

COSTELLO: Never mind the windows. I need a computer and software.

ABBOTT: Software for Windows?

COSTELLO: No. On the computer! I need something I can use to write proposals, track expenses and run my business. What do you have?

ABBOTT: Office.

COSTELLO: Yeah, for my office. Can you recommend anything?

ABBOTT: I just did.

COSTELLO: You just did what?

ABBOTT: Recommend something.

COSTELLO: You recommended something?

ABBOTT: Yes.

COSTELLO: For my office?

ABBOTT: Yes.

COSTELLO: OK, what did you recommend for my office?

ABBOTT: Office...

COSTELLO: Yes, for my office!

ABBOTT: I recommend Office with Windows

COSTELLO: I already have an office with windows! OK, let's just say I'm sitting at my computer and I want to type a proposal. What do I need?

ABBOTT: Word.

COSTELLO: What word?

ABBOTT: Word in Office.

COSTELLO: The only word in office is office.

ABBOTT: The Word in Office for Windows.

COSTELLO: Which word in office for windows?

ABBOTT: The Word you get when you click the blue ‘W’.

COSTELLO: I'm going to click your blue 'w' if you don't start with some straight answers. What about financial bookkeeping? You have anything I can track my money with?

ABBOTT: Money.

COSTELLO: That's right. What do you have?

COSTELLO: I need money to track my money?

ABBOTT: It comes bundled with your computer.

COSTELLO: What's bundled with my computer?

COSTELLO: Money comes with my computer?

ABBOTT: Yes. No extra charge.

COSTELLO: I get a bundle of money with my computer? How much?

ABBOTT: One copy.

COSTELLO: Isn't it illegal to copy money?

ABBOTT: Microsoft gave us a license to copy Money.

COSTELLO: They can give you a license to copy money?

ABBOTT: Why not? THEY OWN IT!

(A few days later)

ABBOTT: Super Duper computer store. Can I help you?

COSTELLO: How do I turn my computer off?

ABBOTT: Click on ‘START’.............
Cheers

markrob

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:29 am

Hi Mossy,

Thanks for that!

Mark

fusionkid

I need a microscope too!

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:20 pm

hey trolls
I've read in the posts that 40X mag. was standard on old lathes, would this enable you to see the surface of the groove walls, and see how smooth the cut was?
What magnification would be needed to see the same on microgroove records? I'm also a mad record collector and i'm interested in inspecting the surface of records for abbrasions, the effects of various cleaning cloths and brushes etc. what mag. would be required?
many thanks

mossboss

Cutter Collector

Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:34 pm

cuttercollector wrote:And what about a stylus microscope? I know how to look at playback styli but am frustrated trying to see why a particular cutting stylus does not work properly.
What tips are there to look for beyond obvious blunting or broken tips?
I am generally speaking of the old steel styli for home large groove cutting but is some of it generally applicable to pro microgroove heated jewel styli as well?
Hey All
The biggest issue is the material used in the manufacture of them, as you rightly point out beyond blunt points broken tips etc is not much else you can inspect
As you are aware they are not cut across the grain when they are made to size from a grown or compressed ingot or from natural stones but parallel to it so the have sufficient strength to do the job
Some times when they are at the extremes of the spec's they still find they way into finished stylii and these ones are going to be a pain
We had stylii that cut for 30-40 hours and others no more than 2-3 some of them a couple of cuts Inspection yields no clues so this is my conclusion
One thing that can be done of course is to get yourself a profile projector from a toolmakers array of gear and compare them with published printed profiles Not that this is going to yield a result but it is interesting
Further A very small light beam shining through them prior to use will yield a diffraction of the beam according to its grain if you are to have a not so crude setup and check them in the same setup on the same spot every time you will finish up with enough data to give you a good idea of their characteristics as in my view it is the raw material that is the determining factor in their usefullness
Diamond stylii where tried out manny times and they outlast all the ruby saphire ones 100 times or more but they are static producing which creates havoc with chip pick up There was a Japanese patent for a diamond stylus which was vacuum deposited on the cutting face with a conductive coat of some meatal that worked quite well but it worn off quite quickly The patent app was modified later on with a little groove cut into the face and a fine gold wire embeded into it so as to conduct the static build up away This was "welded" on to the metalised face I have never seen one but heard of them being used with excellent results
I am sure if there was enough demand around someone would make them But seen the variety of styles and makes of them out there somehow I doubt it
Cheers