Some tips I was given by Peter King...

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Simon

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:03 am

I would make a wedge.

I am not sure if it would work, but it is an old Harley trick with sidestands on bikes - add a wedge and the bike leans over more.

You could run the wedge from the top or the bottom, depending on which way you want the angle to be.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

piaptk

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 am

SO, Peter told me 30 degrees off of the record, but looking at his youtube vids again, I don't think that can possibly be right. I had tried tilting my Presto, but there is no way that you coul dpossibly get the needle to clear the lip of the cutting head at 30 degrees. It looks from the video that it is more like 60 degrees from the record, 30 degrees from straight up.

Jesus H Chrysler

re: Some tips I was given by Peter King...

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:04 pm

if you can't lean your head back that far, you can always bend the tip of the needle forward. I gave this a quick and dirty try over the weekend. since I didn't have any victrola needles I just cut off a piece of wire coathanger and ground it into a point with the dremel. I cut the piece a little long so I could give it a little bend to get the angle right. tried cutting (err embossing) on an xray (which will not cut worth a crap with any normal cutting needles) and it worked. not super well but better than any attempt on xrays i"d tried previously. maybe with a little refinement it might get better.

piaptk

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:40 pm

Jesus H Chrysler wrote:if you can't lean your head back that far, you can always bend the tip of the needle forward. I gave this a quick and dirty try over the weekend. since I didn't have any victrola needles I just cut off a piece of wire coathanger and ground it into a point with the dremel. I cut the piece a little long so I could give it a little bend to get the angle right. tried cutting (err embossing) on an xray (which will not cut worth a crap with any normal cutting needles) and it worked. not super well but better than any attempt on xrays i"d tried previously. maybe with a little refinement it might get better.
Wow... that's a great idea, and a coat hanger is an intriguing concept. You shoul dtry cutting on a cd-r or laserdisc or lexan. I'd love to know what kind of results you get!

filtersweeper

Re: Some tips I was given by Peter King...

Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:01 pm

piaptk wrote:In order to actually contribute something to the community, rather than just taking, I thought I would share some of the tips that I was given by Peter King in New Zealand when I started cutting:
do you have a link to any of his work? ie: pictures or sounds?

mossboss

Peter King

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:25 pm

By Reputation only It seems that the man is a bit of a recluse No web site No email no cell phone lives adjascent to a lake in a self built home and deals only by snail mail
May be the man has found peace and wants to keep it that way Lucky
Cheers
Chris

piaptk

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:43 pm

filtersweeper wrote:
piaptk wrote:In order to actually contribute something to the community, rather than just taking, I thought I would share some of the tips that I was given by Peter King in New Zealand when I started cutting:
do you have a link to any of his work? ie: pictures or sounds?
You can go to my website (www.PIAPTK.com) to see some of his shaped records... they are all cut on lexan. As far as sound samples, I've gotten records from him that sounded as good as a pressed record all the way down to what I would call "pretty crappy". Though, in the last few years, they are getting better and more consistent.

I wouldn't call Peter a recluse as much as a luddite. He's super friendly and awesome, he just has no interest in computers whatsoever.

filtersweeper

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:02 am

I took a look. Nice!

mossboss

Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:51 am

I wouldn't call Peter a recluse as much as a luddite. He's super friendly and awesome, he just has no interest in computers whatsoever.
Hey
Wasn't these guys that broke up all the machinery in the UK so as to keep they Jobs I thought so
Here is definition by a Google search Bloody amazing stuff
A Luddite is a person who fears or loathes technology, especially new forms of technology that threaten existing jobs.
Mr King does use some gear even though it is rather dated
Nevertheless I take my hat off to the man He has done more good for the game and he is well known for his art
I would have put him in the category of an Artisan
Cheers
Chris

MEGAMIKE

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:26 am

yes i agreee..
computers are for computer games thats it..
they have slowed man kind down ,quik fix thats all it has done and the fix is as good as a drug ,worthlesss..
ps nice to finally talk to you mossy.and yes rokwiz have called thanks again..
... :D

Steve E.
Site Admin

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 am

I just came across this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4H_mLrej4Y

Rather hilarious narration, clearly not his fault. "He's the ONLY man doing it."

I love the barbecues!!! And I'm impressed at the automation as he starts his cuts.

MEGAMIKE

Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:54 am

he must be cutting in stereo looking at the heads or is it bridged??
and is that the car he got for cutting beastie boys records..
.kool dude.

piaptk

Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:26 pm

MEGAMIKE wrote:he must be cutting in stereo looking at the heads or is it bridged??
and is that the car he got for cutting beastie boys records..
.kool dude.
He has stereo heads, but the records really come out mono... no real separation of field. I think it has something to do with the way the embossing works.