Do you like diamonds?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

motorino

Do you like diamonds?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Only you have to ask your reseller for metallography (the matrix for made dollars for example), or ultrasound machines for beauty centers for clean the nails or exfoliate the cutis.. i look a lot and are very cheap, with aluminium shank, you need a small driller for put carefully the diamond and mecanized the shank with a cutter with your hand and a good base (and a caliper :wink: )

DIYrs only!

Cheers
Marcos

flozki

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:55 am

hmm.can you add some pictures...?
would help a lot for understanding...

motorino

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Hey

I will go for the pics.... one type of diamond used for ultrasonic exfoliating machines its the same type! Normally this machines have 8 or more different diamonds for diferent works, but one its equal like used for vinyl cutting, only the aluminium shank need some work, you knows what work, made an adapter for hold carefully the shank and turn in a lathe for mecanizing, easy

http://www.diamondtool.com/

http://www.pfingstco.com/diamonds.html

This is the firsts link what i search...

Cheers
Last edited by motorino on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcos

markrob

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi,

The link you provided is to a maufacurer of diamond burs. These cannot be used as styli.

Mark

motorino

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Look again Billy :wink:
Marcos

motorino

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:39 pm

Marcos

markrob

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Marcos,

No67 is carbide not diamond.

The other link to J&M is interesting. Some possiblities there. I'll have to spend some time digging to see if there are some good candidates. Thanks for doing the legwork.

Mark

motorino

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:46 pm

carbide, diamond... for four dollars what you like?

put diamond tool in your google search, et voila your legwork ;)
Marcos

markrob

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Marcos,

I haven't had much luck grinding syli from carbide drill blanks. I've had better results with high speed steel. I'm not sure why. Probably my method and skill is lacking. I intend to try again when time permits.

Mark

mossboss

Diamonds

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:54 am

Hey all
I went down that path and had bits made specifically for stylii
I had 1 x 1 x 7 mm long as well as 1.3 x1.3 x 12 mm long diamonds bits made for us
They looked ok Ground them mounted them and tried them out
Forget it
They may or may not last You need almost gem quality stones where you can see the grain of the stone so as to cut it correctly
One needs to have the grain along the length which will provide the require tensile strength so as to cut and last
These man made stones need to be supported right around
Have a look at any diamond cutting tool commonly used in industry
It is well supported welded on a shank or a holder besides being surounded with the silver solder that it is used to do the job
The dremel bits are a waste of time you might as well use a bit of tool steel coated with Cobalt a rather easier job
Any way Being there and stopped as it seemed that to get the near gem quality diamonds you need to deal with the "Diamond Mafia" as it has been mentioned here before by Flo and others
There is a litle light on this There is an Eastern European manufacturer who does make gem quality stones for jewelery who has offered to sell us his rejects but that was some six months ago and so far zilts
I will wait and see on this
That has been my own experience Others may go down that same path and have succes But it will be inconsistent as it is the nature of the raw material used rather than any quality issues the diamond polisher/cutter or the seller of these stylli has control over
It is inherent in the bit and no one has control of it It is a case of pot luck I am afraid You will get some extremely good ones and some extremely bad ones and anywhere in between
No way of knowing when you start
May be xray them first as an idea with a dentist's xray machine Is any one going to do that? may be, it is the only thing that I thought of, so as to select the ones you want to cut
By the way the bits I had made costed me around the $500 for setting up the press and the cost of the bits was under 20 Cents each so there is plenty of room dollar ways to do it
This was on top of a few $4K for cutting polishing dope sticks compounds etc etc etc So not a good investment I would have thought Arghhhh
Never mind I can always sell the gear and recoup some of my expenditure but there may be some good stones coming and than it will be another go at it
I did spend a considerable time on this and found out the hard way that even though it seems a simple enough process it is frought with hidden issues that one uncovers only when he goes to do it
So this project is now on the very very back burner and it will stay there until some gem quallty stones show up
Who knows when that would be I would not be holding my breath on this
By the way I should have posted this some time ago but it seemed that Andy b had it under control so I did not do it Bad on my part I should have updated all here on it Any way this has been my experience unfortunatelly
By the way The reason I pulled the pin on it as it would have been exactly the same as people are experiencing here
One stylus that gives excellent life and another that does not do a single cut and no way I wanted to be in that situation for obvious reasons
Cheers
Cheers
Chris

motorino

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:31 am

hi friends

I will try to translate from spanish to english correctly (f****n literal translations)

You need stand in the correct place and in the exact moment for that

Im waiting for a men how knows very good that market, its a commercial men from a company what only shell diamonds, when i talk to this man i am going to explain everything, he sells everything for metallography, most of these machines need to adapt the diamond grinding, polishing for lecture or analisys, chromatografy, he sells everything you need, but lives in Barcelona and only happens once in several months here, i spoke yesterday by phone with but.. im waiting

Cheers
Marcos

mossboss

Motorino

Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:01 am

Mate
Get someone to translate my post and study it carefully It is all there I would hate to see you wasting your time on this
Cheers
Chris

motorino

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:36 am

Hey Moss where are you?

I would like to have you 10 minutes from my house, but.. This post is intended to do it yourself your diamonds, isnt oriented to how to start a business with diamonds, seek the cheapest and the least financial investment :wink: made the best diamond with some parts from your kitchen ;)

In my work have a lot of diamond compounds and mousses, i have a mate polishing moulds 8 hours at day and more, hyprez its the best for that http://www.engis.com/lapping.php i waiting for this men

But as always your posts are always going to be good we received ;)

Cheers
Marcos

mossboss

Marcos

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:02 pm

My Friend
It is the stone itself not the process that is the problem
The process has been carried out for hundreds of years
The first polished or cut diamonds where done in India over 300 years ago
Nothing new in this that is cutting and polishing diamonds
You need to be able to see the grain of the stone so as to get it along the length of the cutting stylus as straight as possible
Man made diamonds for industrial use are amorphous therefore brittle if not supported
Gem quality man made diamonds are fine but expensive to cut with a 30% loss as well as that they are reluctant to supply any one outside the jewllery game
I looked at the diamond tools that cut optic fibre cable called scribes as well
They almost perfect for the job with little manipulation to do the trick
But they break real quick as they are subjeceted to lateral force while cutting where by you can not break them while pushing so as to cut the tough optic cable
Any way I am sure you will keep at it and good luck but in my view a waste of time
Have a look at this: http://www.diamondtool.com/fiberopt.html
And this: http://www.techoptics.com/pages/p99htool.html
And this: http://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/page/FOFS/CTGY/Fiber_Optic_Scribe_Tools
By the way you cannot beat the price either
Cheers
Cheers
Chris

motorino

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:29 pm

I think I've underestimated? :D

Look at this http://www.sph.es/eng/nuestros_medios.htm
Made cilinders for continue impression (for a corn flakes box for example)
The finish cutting its made only by diamonds, and this factory its near my work.

Look here :wink: http://www.technodiamant.nl/

I will go to try, slowly, i have a lot of work!

Cheers
Marcos

mossboss

Diamonds

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:07 am

Hey Marcos
The wheel was invented many many years ago
There is no need for you to go down that same path again
You need to build a better mouse trap
The links you have posted up is old hat mate with diamond engraving in gravure printing It has been done for over 50 years now
Argh the other one is OK but sit down when you get the price
You do not want to hurt yourself falling over now do you
I like to warn people so you have been warned
Cheers
Chris

aaron

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Is there any reason why something like part #JMP-100-90R on page http://www.diamondtool.com/scribes.html couldn't be used? It seems to me that something like that would be specifically made for lateral motion on materials a lot harder than polycarbonate.

fraggle

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:32 pm

@ motorino this link is actually very interesting http://www.technodiamant.nl/
Mossy if i get that right what you said before to get the right diamonds is the problem?
don't you think it would be easier to grind them down to a square shape, solder or glue it on the shaft and then cut the angle? so without having that little shank where the vinylium diamond is mounted on?
I f you have the gear i would like to try it when you get back if you don't mind:) I understand it is difficult to find the right side for the cut..
but do you think it is possible to get the right quality of diamonds?
cheers mate

fraggle

Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:33 pm

@aaron
why don't you send them an email?
maybe they could cut &polish to the right shape.
cheers

aaron

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:00 pm

I could send them an email, however I'm not sure what angles/cuts would be needed. I remember this message being posted a while back: https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=1580.html, but the pictures don't work anymore. Is there another place where this information is that I'm just not finding with the search function?