Advice for a newcomer

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

KeeLeh21

Advice for a newcomer

Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Hey everyone
I have been lurking for the past couple of days while i waited for my account to be activated, and while lurking newbie threads i came across some books i should start reading to give myself a start. I just started reading "The Recording and Reproduction of Sound" by Oliver Read and am about to purchase "Disk Recording Vol.1".

My question is that after i finish these book's, what is the next step?
Do i go out and attempt to find and buy a lathe?
Or do i try to find someone i can apprentice for?
Cutting records is something i have always wanted to attempt but due to lack of free time and money i never could, and now that i find myself with free time and money i dont' know where to start.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading 8)

mossboss

Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:40 am

Welcome aboard
Buy the book When you finish it I can assure you you will have more questions than answers Thats normal anyway
Keep reading here
From past observations it goes something like this
I want to start cutting now But I want good quality cuts
So what do I buy?
A Wilcox Gay at around the $300 or a VMS 70 at around the $30K
What is there in between? than the search starts and it is all fun
It is than a case of budget as dedication is already there
Cheers
Chris

piaptk

Mon May 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Doubt you will find many cutters in El Paso. But if you get down to Austin, I can hook you up with my buddy who I sold a couple lathes to. I'm sure he'd be happy to show you how to operate a 6n, which is the middle ground between the wilcox gay cheapo cutter and the $30K stereo Neumann. Where to start depends on how much money you have. If you have $2K, you can probably get everything you need for a Presto 6N setup, lathe cutting head, feedscrews, decenet cheap amp, accessories, etc.

piaptk

Tue May 03, 2011 9:54 am

piaptk wrote:Doubt you will find many cutters in El Paso. But if you get down to Austin, I can hook you up with my buddy who I sold a couple lathes to. I'm sure he'd be happy to show you how to operate a 6n, which is the middle ground between the wilcox gay cheapo cutter and the $30K stereo Neumann. Where to start depends on how much money you have. If you have $2K, you can probably get everything you need for a Presto 6N setup; lathe, cutting head, feedscrews, decent cheap amp, accessories, etc.

KeeLeh21

Tue May 03, 2011 11:44 am

piaptk wrote:Doubt you will find many cutters in El Paso. But if you get down to Austin, I can hook you up with my buddy who I sold a couple lathes to. I'm sure he'd be happy to show you how to operate a 6n, which is the middle ground between the wilcox gay cheapo cutter and the $30K stereo Neumann. Where to start depends on how much money you have. If you have $2K, you can probably get everything you need for a Presto 6N setup, lathe cutting head, feedscrews, decenet cheap amp, accessories, etc.
yeah that sounds great :D