What is the point of Polycarbonate Discs?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

KeeLeh21

What is the point of Polycarbonate Discs?

Thu May 26, 2011 7:48 pm

What is the point of a polycarbonate disk? does anybody use those here?

piaptk

Fri May 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Lasts longer and costs less than a lacquer. Can be cut into odd shapes, can be turned into picture discs.

They are really the only financially viable way to do runs of lathe cuts that still sound decent.

opcode66

Fri May 27, 2011 5:51 pm

They are like one-off records.

Pros: Durability, can be queued up many times without degradation of the groove unlike a lacquer, can be played thousands of times not hundreds of time like a lacquer, are close to the weight and feal like pressed vinyl.

Cons: They are close to the cost of a lacquer (12" about $8 vs 11 for a lacquer), they have some amount of background noise not present in a lacquer, they are very staticy and will attract a lot of dust (even more than pressed vinyl), they are sort of a pain in the arse to cut right, a diamond stylus is required and is very expensive and can go bad quickly and esily.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

dietrich10

Fri May 27, 2011 6:57 pm

we can get price lower than $8
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

maniman

Fri May 27, 2011 7:20 pm

piaptk wrote: They are really the only financially viable way to do runs of lathe cuts that still sound decent.
Amen.

Thinking a bit more about the clarification of the sound difference between , with the Shank stylus now can cut poly with the most cutterheads , not ?

how really sounds a good serious lathe cutting with a diamond ? ( on Neumann or similar for example ).

In other words

Talking about a serious lathe (like a Neumann), we can compare the traditional lacquer cut (with the appropriate stylus ) with the same machine cutting poly with a diamond in terms of sound quality ?

That limitation is inherent to the materials and the extra hardness , or are more lathe quality related ? guess many many other differences between the machine that usually cut lacquers and the one(s?) that cut poly (in all terms , precision , costs , etc )

Someday , someday hope can try by myself.
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

KeeLeh21

Fri May 27, 2011 9:20 pm

opcode66 wrote:They are like one-off records.

Pros: Durability, can be queued up many times without degradation of the groove unlike a lacquer, can be played thousands of times not hundreds of time like a lacquer, are close to the weight and feal like pressed vinyl.

Cons: They are close to the cost of a lacquer (12" about $8 vs 11 for a lacquer), they have some amount of background noise not present in a lacquer, they are very staticy and will attract a lot of dust (even more than pressed vinyl), they are sort of a pain in the arse to cut right, a diamond stylus is required and is very expensive and can go bad quickly and esily.
thanks very helpful post

opcode66

Sat May 28, 2011 12:24 am

Good results are possible with some work. I hope I didn't deter you from trying to cut plastic. Everything is a give and take you know.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

maniman

Mon May 30, 2011 5:30 am

Aha , I can't imagine , I only saw a Neumann a years ago , never touch one , If I'm not wrong the Nickou's one is the only Neumann alive in the city.

Maybe seems and stupid idea but modding a Neumann to cut poly can mean the best durable dub ever seen , and can give new life to a Neumann, in the sense of how many weekly cuts have to do to make it profitable , not ? I imagine the master recording business are relatively limited , the pressed production are far far away of the good times , not ?

In all sizes plant ( from relatively small as my45 until giants as GZ media ) the lathe use is relatively necessary , but have a serious lathe that isnt part of a pressing chain seems me totally non-viable , Now knowing this maybe can think in that as very very long term project.
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

opcode66

Mon May 30, 2011 6:40 pm

I didn't have to mod anything. Just used a diamond instead of a sapphire. And, had a lamp with a 100W incandescent bulb pointed at the surface of the disc. Let the disc heat up. When it is at optimal temperature start cutting.

ArchaicRecords

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Isn't it possible to cut into poly with a heated steel stylus?
archaicrecords.com