what to do - troll advice needed

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

cymbalism

what to do - troll advice needed

Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:16 am

hello trolls

i have a bit of an issue i'm dealing with and i wanted your feedback on the matter.

as everyone here knows i run a lathe cut service and cut records for people all over the world. i recently completed a job for someone in the uk and he wrote me an email today saying he was unhappy with them due to surface noise and tracking issues he was having and is now expecting me to refund his money or else he is threatening me within 24 hours that he is going to post negativity about the records on various online places, youtube, facebook, etc.

the records i made him are the same as ones i've done for everyone else. i play test them on three different tables and if they don't play well for me, i trash them and redo them.

i have the feeling he expected more than what a lathe cut record is and i'm grasping at straws as to what to do. his job was paid for, blanks ordered, cut, labelled and shipped and received.

any advice is appreciated as this is a serious headache for me considering i work very hard to make sure people get a good record to play and can't afford to just eat a job like this.

thanks guys.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

mossboss

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 pm

Mate Mate
If I where you I would not worry about this at all
Given that you did what you did and you are happy with the result let him be
The only people who would take note are his own ignorant kind
You want to cut for them like a hole in the head
You may want to tell the guy to get another cutter for which you you are happy to pay for one cut so he can compare and let that be
That would be the most I would do mate but that would be it
You follow his posts add your story to it That's It
Cheers
Chris

gold

Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Be polite. Be firm. I'd ask him to send them back so you can check them out. If he pitches a fit about shipping costs (which it sounds like he will) then I'd offer him a break to get rid of him. He'll probably feel like he got over and go away. I wouldn't worry about a crank spewing vitriol. It's pretty easy to spot a troll.

cymbalism

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm

gold wrote:Be polite. Be firm. I'd ask him to send them back so you can check them out. If he pitches a fit about shipping costs (which it sounds like he will) then I'd offer him a break to get rid of him. He'll probably feel like he got over and go away. I wouldn't worry about a crank spewing vitriol. It's pretty easy to spot a troll.
That's the thing, I did check them and they played fine on all three tables I test on, a 1200, a shitty portable and a mid line jvc. He was referred to me from another person I've done records for here actually and I never had a bitch from him and he has sold all his records with no problems.

Thanks for the heads up guys, appreciate it
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

opcode66

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Well, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Everyone will bitch about something if given the opportunity. I would ask the guy to send back only one or two copies for you to inspect. Play them both. And give the guy your honest feedback. You are the expert here. If you are personally ok with your work then stand behind it. If this guy says he won't use you anymore who cares. That's a lie. How many of us actually make individual lathe cuts into plastic? Not a lot. And that is world-wide. Who the hell else is this person going to go to? And given the nature of the beast, whoever he goes to probably won't make cuts as good as you do. No one on this board or who has read this board for a while thinks you would intentionally cut crappy discs and send them out.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

gold

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:38 pm

cymbalism wrote: That's the thing, I did check them and they played fine on all three tables I test on, a 1200, a shitty portable and a mid line jvc. He was referred to me from another person I've done records for here actually and I never had a bitch from him and he has sold all his records with no problems.
Right. If he is busting your balls you can return the favor. If he is serious about resolving a real problem then he will send them to you. Maybe something happened to them. Maybe he played them with an awl and a dixie cup. Only one way to find out. I'd play along until you are sure there is nothing wrong or he makes it impossible for you to figure it out.

piaptk

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 pm

A lot of the surface noise on your records is caused by static. Have him wipe them down with a lint free cloth. All of the records I've gotten for you popped like crazy until I did that. Have him adjust the weight of the needle, too, because that can make them sound weird. That was one of the problems Adam was having, he changed the weight and a lot of his problems went away...

cymbalism

Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:25 pm

that's the thing mike, i explained to him that weight and anti-skate adjustments may possibly need to be made - also if he is using an old or dull stylus - like what you had going on at first.

it's not a pressed record, its an intimate listening experience only a handful of people in the entire world will have the privilege to listen to. it's something you need to play manually and carefully to get it just right. you'd imagine someone doing a lathe cut record would know they're not supposed to be completely flawless like a real pressed record and will need at least some sort of person to record face time instead of automatic play buttons.

anyways, thanks again everyone! i still haven't heard anything back yet from him and he encouraged a fast response back from me which i did first thing this morning.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi

piaptk

Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:45 pm

But, does your website explain that? I know I get a lot of requests to cut from people that expect a pro sounding record in a quantity of 30 for the per piece cost of a 500 run. I'm very careful to be overly critical of my cuts. I would much rather miss out on some business from someone (who might have even been ok with the sound) if means I don't have to deal with the shit you are dealing with now.

Aussie0zborn

Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 am

If he wants a refund he has to send them back for you to check them out first. Then it's ur choice.

MEGAMIKE

Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:17 am

hi tommi sorry to hear this..this is wot i do .and they all say this;

customer"hi i would like to do a run of x? amount of records but i have heard that lathe cut records are not good for clubs ,can you confirm that your records are as loud as the ones played in clubs?

me" i ll send you a 7inch for free of your music and go and play it in a club then tell me what you think..

in 4years ive had 2 unhappy..

MEGAMIKE

Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:19 am

and yes iam a HYPOCRITE as i have promised you and paiptk some records...
there comin next week...

pete_d

Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:24 am

I think thats him sorted out Tommie, no problem man.

Damerels, laser discs, 4 months ago, any sign of? its a bit of a crapper when you dont send THE band who's music you have released any copies, even if you have only sold 1.

shoe, other foot, etc