dd turntable 1 kgf/cm of torque

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

studiorp

dd turntable 1 kgf/cm of torque

Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Hello to all, I have a question to propose here : a direct drive turntable as for example an American Audio TTD 2400 from 1 kgf/cm of torque or more could be enough for cutting or no ?
Is there someone here that cut with a turntable with this torque ?

Thanks to all.
Cheers.

markrob

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi,

I don't know if this is enough torque, but for comparison, the old Presto 6N has a 1/25 HP Bodine synchronous motor. If you do the math, at 33 RPM this equates to about 87 Kg-cm of torque. There is probably a good deal of loss from the motor shaft to turntable platter and there is a large amount power needed to drive the overhead mechanism, but it gives you some idea of the requirements. In the case of a direct drive, you may be able to get away with much less since there is a servo in operation and if the head advance is done by an external drive motor, you may be ok. I susupect if you are just planning to cut laquers, you should be fine. If you want more torque in a cheap TT, the Newmark TT200 specs 1.7Kg-cm of torque.

Mark

studiorp

Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:05 am

No laquers, I must start to do experiments possibly with polycarbonate, or other similar material with my Poltz Freres that I have restored in this last month.
I don't know if you know as has built a Poltz, but is similar a Rek o Kut M12S, only the mechanism has moved by a belt under the plate.
Yes, then I am thinking to insert another motor for move the head advance, but I am dubios about a question : is necessary that this second motor must be in sync with the direct drive motor, or no ?
Thanks.

markrob

Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:20 am

Hi,

There is no need to have the motor(s) in sync. In fact, having the head advance separated from the platter motor is a plus. It allows you to easily change the groove pitch of your cuts. When using a Presto 6N and similar units, you have to change feedscrews to accomplish this. With a separate drive for the head, you just change the motor speed and you get variable pitch. You could implement a real-time variable pitch system in the future with a setup like this.

Mark

studiorp

Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:37 am

Ah, interesting Mark, very interesting...
Regard polycarbonate discs, for you is possible cut with only 1 kgf/cm or little more ?
I have seen here and not only here that many people cut with a Technics 1200 that has only 1,2 kg/cm of torque...
Thanks.
Raffaello.

emidisc

overhead feed accuracy

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:05 am

Mark,

is the speed accuracy of motor for overhead feed as critical as that of the turntable speed accuracy?

emidisc

maniman

Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:49 am

Absolutely NO , the Autogroove , Ptich Boxes , Auto Distancers are the demostration , the advance speed didnt have any effect on the audio (unless a modulated groove reaches the groove before) , in that systems the advance speed it's changed continuously and no heard effect about. not sirs?

About that low torque , in the VR the carriage advance don't depend of the TT torque , coz of that can cut with 1,2 Kg/cm2 , the VC 200 seems works pretty good with the Technics , maybe some users here can give more details , recently I gift an M12 overhead to a friend that is starting in cutting , the Technics can move the carriage without strobe movings , but maybe when have a stylus the things change , if you have the TT , simply , TEST IT.
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.