Bodine motor replacement

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

bancho

Bodine motor replacement

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:20 am

I have this old Bodine motro running the platter of my 8DG. As I live in Europe I had to include the controller for running it properly. When running it for a long time the motor gets quite hot - around 50°C. I'm afraid it would burn if I'd run it for longer time. So this is the question for "just in case": is there any proper replacement for this kind of motor? The controller I use is for 3 phase motors and this Bodine is 1 phase but with two windings so I kind of tricked it.
These are specifications read from the plate: Bodine Electronic Company AC motor, 115V, 1.0A, cont. duty, PH 1, H.P. 1/25, R.P.M. 1500-1800, cycle 50/60, type NYC-34.
Thanks!

dubcutter89

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:59 am

Hey!
Nice to hear it is running again :)
If it gets "only" 50C hot then i guess it won't burn...
These are specifications read from the plate: Bodine Electronic Company AC motor, 115V, 1.0A, cont. duty, PH 1, H.P. 1/25, R.P.M. 1500-1800, cycle 50/60, type NYC-34.
1500-1800 rpm tells me it is an asynchronus type - the standard cheap thing you can buy everywhere..
(edit: 1500rpm-50Hz and 1800rpm-60Hz fixed speed could be an synchronous type as well, but i still doubt it is one. you can check that if you start it up (stand alone, without gear) and then add some braking force to the shaft - if it starts up normal and still rotates it is an async. if it makes noises and vibrates without continous rotation it's a sync.)

115V x 1A -> approx 100Watt Power Rating (the more the better...)

So the only problem is the size of the motor, shaft, mounting but maybe you can make an adaptor plate or something.
Or maybe somebody else here knows one that fits?

As you already have the converter i would suggest you to buy a 3-phase type motor since they run more quiet than those 1-(2) phase things...and it should be easier to program the micromaster :)

Or you wait until our fellow lathetrolls come up with a new direct drive solution...

Lukas

ps: did you get schematics/manuals for your philips tape machine?
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

markrob

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 am

Hi,

The NYC-34 is a synchronous motor. There is a specified capacitor that must be used with the motor. It may be running hot if the drive you are using is not a true sine wave type but is a modified sine or worse yet a square wave type.

One option would be to run the motor off of your 50 hz AC mains and check the temperature. See if this rise is normal for the motor (as budcutter said, 50C is not that hot). If it runs cooler, but at a slower shaft speed, then you may be better off fixing the speed by changing the shaft diameters instead of using an inverter drive.

Mark

bancho

Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks both!
So the replacement is actually not that problematic I guess :) sweet!

Now the problem is there is some flutter in the recording... I found out the platter is the tilted so I removed it and also the plate between the plater and the shaft is uneven... this is currently the main problem but I'll fix this ;)

@dubcutter: about the philips... I'm currently moving and it is in my new house because here there is not much space (btw I got also Telefunken M15A). I will get to work when I finally move. I didn't get any manuals yet. I contacted vintagerecorders from UK but without any success. There is a guy in my hometown who got I think four of them and also repaired them but I think without manual :shock:

symatic

Re: Bodine motor replacement

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:28 am

I just found this thread..... we're looking at replacing a NYC-34 motor with a new motor, for UK power, and that wil lbe speed controllable....

we need to make a new mounting bracket though, does anyone know the frame size of a Bodine NYC-34 motor?

Soulbear

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

Hi There,
symatic wrote:does anyone know the frame size of a Bodine NYC-34 motor?
Bodine Motor Catalog.pdf
This might help :wink:

I'm also in possesion of this "Bad Boy"which is looking to find a new home
Bodine NSY 34 115Volt 1500RPM Synchronous Motor.JPG
Bodine NSY 34.JPG
Isn't the designation "34" a reference to the frame size?? This "NSY34" would run at 1800RPM Stateside, and at 1500RPM here in the U.K. from a 240Volt/120Volt step-down Xformer. If memory serves me well, this is a "Synchronous Motor" which doesn't need a Start/Run Capacitor (Could be mistaken!!) Maybe some of our American Cousins could help here
Regards
:wink: :P :D Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

symatic

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am

thanks soulbear1

yaeh the speed difference is a real pain, because it runs at the wrong speed on UK power.... I looked at adding a inverter control unit but it sounds like its a dangerous fix, amd the motor might burn out.

So we just got a new motor and we're now looking at ways to get it to fit. its gonna need a new bracket and the motor's shaft needs to be adapted to 9mm down from 11.......... I have spoken to a local machining company who think they can help....

symatic

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 am

that catalog is helpful!

NYC stands for "capacitor run, reversable, synchronous"

it also sheds some light on the measurements they used which is handy.

unfortunately i can't see the NYC-34 listed..... but i think it tells me enough to think that it's still worth replacing - then we should be able to use 1 motor to do all the speeds, from 16.6 up i hope.

symatic

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:01 am

for anyone needing this info in future, heres an image I modified to show the NYC-34's dimensions in mm, i also added the specs of the motor to the image.