Radiotone?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ffwolfcone

Radiotone?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:08 pm

What does anyone know about the Radiotone lathe? Or Olsen heads?

cuttercollector

Re: Radiotone

Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:00 pm

Company made a couple (at least) models through early 50s. I have the guts to one that has a record amp with loctal tubes and the lathe. I have seen a picture of it in it's case in an old catalog. I also have a couple of not quite complete older models that came in one huge dark red case with a speaker in the lid. These have all the controls on the top by the turntable and are 78 only. Design might be pre-WWII considering the types of tubes. my friend says the actual overhead lathe assembly from these is pretty good quality.
Do you have one?

grooveguy

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:37 pm

I had a Radiotone once, it was definitely an early-to-mid-40s lathe with a most unimpressive overhead mechanism. The whole thing was fabricated from stamped sheetmetal where other would use machined castings. Perhaps my early one was a lesser model than the one described here.

Regarding the Olson head, I don't know if this is attributable to Harry Olson of RCA or another Olson. Whoever, the design was manufactured both by Fairchild and by Lipps (later to make tape heads in L.A.). Early models had a field coil, but most that are still around are alnico. I have one of these on my Rek-O-Kut now. It was originally 500 ohms but I rewound it to the 8-16ohm range. I consider it a remarkable mono head; it replaced a Presto 1D and sounds much better.

Both the Radiotone and the Olson head have mentions in the late Bob Morrision's book, "Disk Recording 1930-1960." This book is a treasure, with photos and literature reprints from disc recording gear of this era. I should make a special post of this. Stand by.