I NEED HELP FOR WILCOX GAY RECORDIO

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

littlesounds

I NEED HELP FOR WILCOX GAY RECORDIO

Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:08 pm

i was just given an old wilcox gay recordio, all the motors and tubes and whatever seem to be fine, but i cant get any sound to cut! there is a faint (and distorted) audible signal when i plugged my amplifier through it into headphones,
i tried cutting a signal of my amp through onto the underside of a cd, but it just turns out to be a blank groove, what do i need to do?
-new needle?
-deeper cut?
-fix line in input?
-replace guts?
if someone could let me know that would be awesome..
juan

Analogisit

Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:17 pm

1. Does the radio work?
2. Are you trying to use the amplifier in the Recordio, or are you just connecting your amplifier to the cutting head? If the latter, the crystal in the cutter could be shot, or you may not have a high enough output voltage to drive the crystal (it's considerably higher than what drives the speaker).

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:49 am

Get Gib at West Tech to fix it!!