Direct to Disk recording series

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

chenry57

Direct to Disk recording series

Thu May 08, 2014 8:15 am

We at Welcome To 1979 Studios in Nashville, Tennessee are planning a direct to disk recording series this summer. We call it "Bands Banding Together." Five bands, ranging in genre, will come in to our all analog studio & cut full LP's direct to disk on our Neumann VMS-70 lathe...no digital, no tape. There will only be a limited pressing, done by United Record Pressing, of each title (500 copies). Check out our kickstarter page if you are interested in getting more details.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/6384401/welcome-to-1979-presents-bands-banding-together

There are some unique incentive opportunities on there, including a chance to own test pressings, out take lacquers, and even be in attendance at the studio while the records are being made & see the entire process go down! This will be a very unique and incredible learning experience for anyone interested in disk cutting/recording/music! Thanks!

-Cameron

markrob

Re: Direct to Disk recording series

Thu May 08, 2014 8:49 am

Hi,

Great project! I'm in for all 5. Hope you are able to pull this off.

Mark

chenry57

Thu May 08, 2014 9:30 am

markrob wrote:Hi,

Great project! I'm in for all 5. Hope you are able to pull this off.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wed May 28, 2014 11:51 am

Dang! I was a bit asleep at the wheel on this. I just tweeted about it and sent the word around, and contributed. Everyone, check this out!! Only three days left to support it.
[kickstartcard]6384401/welcome-to-1979-presents-bands-banding-together[/kickstartcard]

chenry57

Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks to all that contributed. Although it wasn't a successful campaign we have a few other ideas cooking & will make sure you are all made aware of them.