Home Central Vaccum System for lathe Vaccum System?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

smithadamm

Home Central Vaccum System for lathe Vaccum System?

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:12 am

I was perusing an internet of things website looking for xmas presents for the family when I can across this...

http://www.homecontrols.com/NuTone-Central-Vacuum-400W-1-Stage-Disposable-Bag-NUCV400?sc=23&category=194194

I thought maybe it would be of interest to some folks here. Maybe it works as a lathe system, maybe not, but it looks pretty cool.

EmAtChapterV

Re: Home Central Vaccum System for lathe Vaccum System?

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:08 am

I knew of someone who had a system like this for cutting - the chip jar was behind the lathe as per usual, but was connected to a series of PVC pipes through walls to a vacuum pump in the garage, one floor above and one room over. It was much more pleasant than having the vacuum in the same room as the lathe. 400 watts might be overkill - my vacuum pump pulls 110 watts going full-blast, 75 watts running normally (turned down to 45 or 50 on the variac).

Having had a central vacuum system installed improperly in a house where I lived... if you're going to do this, make sure the pipes are properly insulated if they're run through an attic or somewhere else where they'll encounter temperature swings! Warm indoor air + cold outdoor air = condensation; condensation + dust = effectively cement. We had a repair guy try to roto-rooter out the pipe and crawl around in the attic to no effect; the only way to fix it would have been to tear it all out and start over.

Bodyslam

Re: Home Central Vaccum System for lathe Vaccum System?

Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:34 am

EmAtChapterV wrote:I knew of someone who had a system like this for cutting - the chip jar was behind the lathe as per usual, but was connected to a series of PVC pipes through walls to a vacuum pump in the garage
I went to a system like this years ago...so glad to get that noise out of the cutting room.
Paul Stubblebine