Testing a cutting amp using a speaker

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

smithadamm

Testing a cutting amp using a speaker

Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:46 pm

I just rebuilt one of my cutting amps. I want to do a general test on it before hooking it up to my cutting head. Nothing fancy, just checking to see if it passes signal at the impedance the head is going to be, maybe a real crude frequency response test. Can anyone think of any reason I shouldn't just hook it to a 16ohm (my head impedance is around 14ohms) speaker that can handle the watts? The amp is solid state.

tragwag

Re: Testing a cutting amp using a speaker

Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:03 pm

I brought my Presto 92 series amp to a tech once, he played a radio through it the whole time to test.
it sounded beautiful! almost a shame I have to feed it only RIAA encoded signals...

so in short, yes do that, no reason it would harm it at all.
What amp are you speaking of?
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

smithadamm

Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:27 am

tragwag wrote:What amp are you speaking of?
Thanks! I figured so, but I wanted to check in with the brain trust here.

It's a Ransteele RPA-250. A big 70's solid state 240W RMS mono amp. Sounded really great right up until it stopped working.

I used the opportunity to swap out all of the carbon comp resistors with metal film, replace all of the power resistors, re-cap it, and change and re-heat sink the power transistors. On the bench everything is testing good, but I want to check it out without the possibility of blowing up my head.

opcode66

Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:03 pm

There is no difference between a speaker and a cutterhead electrically. They are both coils. You would want to pick a speaker with a similar DC resistance. If you don't, you could be overtaxing your amplifier. And, then you certainly could have some issues created in the amp! So, as along as the speaker is a similar resistance, this is fine. If not, you risk damage to components in your amp.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

tubefan

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:57 pm

Hmm, Ransteele? Do you have any pics?

I know of someone with two hand-wired Ransteele audio racks, no schematics or documentation. Curious to see if it is similar. It was an odd company, I had a Ransteele Neumann lathe, it was an AM32b painted white (awful) with a Sontec Compudisk and a Technics SP02.

smithadamm

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:18 am

I've got no documentation on mine either. I know someone else that has a couple of the 250W amps and he doesn't have any paperwork. I found someone on google that had one that was a re-branded/modified Dynaco hi-fi amp.

They are easy enough to work on, the design is a really straightforward class A solid state design, but it can be slow going without schematics.

For all my griping about not having paperwork, I do think it is a really great sounding amp.

This is the left cutter. As you can see by the date scrawled on it, something happened to it on August 19th, 1984. I'm assuming it was made then. My pre-amp is Ransteele too, but it is at the studio. I'll post pics of it here at some point.

pdmillar

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:13 am

Those driver transistors with the weird integral heat sink look just like the ones in my 70s Acoustic bass amp... are they made by RCA?
Mine failed and made full-voltage-excursion crackling noises happen at the output of the amp.
Some of them look like they were replaced with a different type with less heat sink mass, which makes me kind of nervous. Try and locate some NOS replacements if you can.

smithadamm

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:06 pm

pdmillar wrote:Those driver transistors with the weird integral heat sink look just like the ones in my 70s Acoustic bass amp... are they made by RCA?
Mine failed and made full-voltage-excursion crackling noises happen at the output of the amp.
Some of them look like they were replaced with a different type with less heat sink mass, which makes me kind of nervous. Try and locate some NOS replacements if you can.
Yep RCA. They are still working at the moment, but I was thinking I should have some spares on hand. Thanks Paul.