Silvertone Recorder record cutter

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

RJC

Silvertone Recorder record cutter

Mon May 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Hey, guys. So I got a question about a Silvertone Recorder model 5732. I believe it's from the '30s and is designed to cut 78rpm records from the radio or a microphone input. It's similar to the Wilcox-Gay deal. I got it fixed and it works, and I tried cutting on a few things. Disposable plastic plates and stuff. They didn't really work. Cutting on CDs seemed to work great. The sound quality sounds very good. BUT, while the machine cuts continuously and smoothly, upon playback, the needle of the other record player I'm using will not track at all correctly. It just skips over the same recorded line over and over like a typical "broken record." (If you place the playback needle in another part of the groove, it does the same thing with a different line.) Any advice on where I can find proper materials to cut on or why it's not working? I was originally intending to take a sheet of flexible plastic (like from a transparency) and paste that onto a piece of cardboard and make sturdy flexi discs like the McDonald's song-contest ones. But I'd settle for anything that really works. Thank you very much! :evil: :mrgreen:

tragwag

Re: Silvertone Recorder record cutter

Tue May 26, 2015 5:07 pm

sounds like you're cutting either too deep, or too loud.
try reducing the volume and weight and try again
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

RJC

Re: Silvertone Recorder record cutter

Thu May 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Hey, thanks a lot, tragwag. I'll try that.