Help with Recordio

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

greenrecordsmi

Help with Recordio

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Recently picked up a W-G Recordio 6B10, unused since approx. late 60s but clean. After changing the tubes and wiring an input in place of the non-working microphone, i'm still having the following issues:

- Cuts produce no sound. High pitched squeal as the needle cuts.
- Function buttons all monitor microphone.
- Turntable clanks as it spins.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can lend some help.

markrob

Re: Help with Recordio

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi,

AFIK, these use a crystal cutting head. Given the age, in most cases these are dead. You would need to have the head rebuilt. Have you verified that all of the electronics are working?

Mark

greenrecordsmi

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark - because no function buttons besides the microphone work, i'm guessing there's a slight electrical problem somewhere, but the electric eye works and everything else seems to as well. Is there any way to do a definitive test?
I'm thinking it's most likely the cutting head as you've mentioned. Any tips on where to begin rebuilding the head?
-Knox

Mulchefye

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:58 am

http://www.west-techservices.com/p2.htm these guys will rebuild your cutting head for around 70$ or so....give em a call!
"Music is the Key to the Universe."
-Rats 2012-

markrob

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:14 am

Hi,

If this has a radio and that can be made to work, you are probably in good shape as these machines reuse stages via switching for cutting and playback. They really are all based (with some modifications, e.g. not a hot chassis) on the "All American 5" tube radio designs of the 30's and 40's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_American_Five

Best bet is to get the schematic and read up on restoration techniques on old radios of this era.

BTW, the thumping you are hearing when the turntable runs is likely a bad idler wheel due to a flat and/or spot on the rubber tire.

Mark

Mulchefye

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:13 pm

i found out that opcode66 also rebuilds cutting heads for 75$, "More if other things need replacing like wiring or dampers." and THAT guy really knows what he is doing even if he does come off as a bit jaded; he certainly has reason to be lol....so the prices of recoiling r pretty much consistent amongst Artisans of such things....also, i am now in contact with a dude who seems to be pretty keen on the whole rebuilding heads thing and he lives close by....he is gonna help me with mine, perhaps he can help you too! isnt that what we r all here for in the end?
-Rats 2012-

opcode66

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:03 am

It should be noted that I can not work on crystal based heads. Only coil based cutterheads.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Mulchefye

Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:30 pm

now i am confused. does that mean to say that coil-based heads are magnetic? i have 2, one is an Astatic x-26 and the other looks to be stock for the Airline models i have...heres some pix geez i have so much to learn...forewarned is forearmed before i go to Montreal this weekend to meet up with Bahndahn Image

-Rats 2012-

Mulchefye

Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:34 pm

btw i looked at your website, and i noticed that you are moving from plastic 3d printed stereo heads to metal. i put my email in for preorder (i sure hope they arent too expensive) but i suspect that i will have to have the thing in plastic cuz metal will be just too damn heavy to put on these lathes...but i am DETERMINED to eventually put a stereo cutter onto one of them. of course one must walk before they can run, so im quite keen to get these mono heads running...also, someone mentioned that i may need to design some kind of overhead suspension system to take the weight off the cutting arm if i want to use these lathes to cut in stereo....but i will tell u, the grooves i have cut so far (onto blank spaces on disco singles from the 70s) have been encouraging...nice deep cuts with no sound of course, but they have tracked well when playing back on my Califone...overall i am very encouraged by the soundless results, and i think that if i had a not-too-heavy plastic stereo cutterhead i could macgyver something workable! oh man i LOVE this stuff! i cant wait to actually cut my own music man, im so exited i have a BONER!
-Rats 2012-

recordboy

Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:07 am

Looks like ur off to a good start.
congrats, Its exciting for sure.

:)
Cheers,
recordboy