Cleaning Off Anti-Static Residue?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Waxlimbs

Cleaning Off Anti-Static Residue?

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi Lathetrolls!

I'm cutting with a T560 on myShank blanks and using their anti-static spray as well.
I find that while the anti-static spray works, it leaves behind a rather ugly residue that is difficult to clean off.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning lathecuts after actually cutting?
I've been reading a bit about things like a spin-clean device but I'd love some input from the community. Currently wiping carefully with a microfibre cloth.

Thanks!

Soulbear

Re: Cleaning Off Anti-Static Residue?

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi Waxlimbs,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7nKa_aHyR8
This chap is "Embossing" rather than "Cutting" but is using some form of "Spray" on the Disc. At around 12mins into the Video, using a Brush, he then plunges the Finished Record into a bowl of "Dishwashing Soapy Water"!! I wouldn't think this is an "Approved" method of Cleaning Residues Off however Te He!
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear

tragwag

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:09 pm

my first thought is just plain water, very light pressure.
maybe a drop of dish soap
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

tragwag

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:09 pm

addendum: the black discs always show the residue and finger prints much more
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

ObiKutnobi

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi Guys, Has anyone had any luck with post cutting PVC disc cleaning?

I am having real issues at the moment cleaning. Using a Microfibre cloth, with once boiled water (to remove impurities) then cooled & mixing with a small amount of white cleaning vinegar. Visually it works a charm, they look shiny and beautiful. BUT.......I then go and play the record and it has gained an incredible amount of crackle, a prohibitive amount of crackle. This crackle slowly reduces after repeatedly playing. WTF is causing this?

Does anyone know why this is happening? and even better......how to solve it?

Thanks, Obi

handcut

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm currently using de-ionised water, isopropanol and a very small amount of washing up liquid (as suggested on here by somebody, I can't remember who/where). Works a treat. No residue at all, but it took a while to get the mix right.

Isopropanol is very dangerous - always read the COSHH datasheet or your local equivalent.

Obi: Your problem sounds like static charge.

djnickbike

Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:50 am

ObiKutnobi wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:00 pm
Hi Guys, Has anyone had any luck with post cutting PVC disc cleaning?

I am having real issues at the moment cleaning. Using a Microfibre cloth, with once boiled water (to remove impurities) then cooled & mixing with a small amount of white cleaning vinegar. Visually it works a charm, they look shiny and beautiful. BUT.......I then go and play the record and it has gained an incredible amount of crackle, a prohibitive amount of crackle. This crackle slowly reduces after repeatedly playing. WTF is causing this?

Does anyone know why this is happening? and even better......how to solve it?

Thanks, Obi
reviving this thread as I have this exact issue. not really sure if there is magic cloth or solution out there that works? the random marks/residue post-cutting is kinda ugly and would love to be able to give it a quick wipe without disturbing anything.

Dub Studio

Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:33 pm

I don't clean discs, instead I use Isopropyl alcohol with a small amount of detergent as a lubricant and leave it on the disc. The alcohol spreads the detergent very thinly and evenly and then evaporates almost instantly so you can get cutting straight away. One tiny drop in every 100ml is all you need - a very small drop might not be enough and you will get clingy swarf, whereas a large drop might be too much and you will see the detergent on the disc. The goldilocks zone is somewhere in between, so you just need to start with the smallest amount you can, and add more if you need it. You will barely notice the residue if you confine it to the cutting area only, but if you do feel like cleaning it off, the process is a lot quicker and easier - a quick buff and done.

I wouldn't spray it, as it will go everywhere and could possibly start reacting with any other materials in the area of your cut, while also releasing way more liquid than you actually need, with the associated vapours floating in the air and finding their way into your lungs, which after a long session could potentially make you feel slightly pissed (drunk / high / whatever). A far more targetted approach is to use a "dauber" bottle. Molotow do an excellent 100ml bottle that will keep the party going for days. Just start near the centre of the disc and draw a spiral outwards towards the edge. Job done, minimal liquid used, minimal detergent on the disc, quick drying and virtually invisible.

Water-based lubricants that leave a lot of residue are problematic for several reasons, not least the time it takes for them to dry, but also the time it takes to clean them off, and the noisy artifacts they can leave behind when doing so. Lubricant that is left behind will not affect playback if it is left on the land (which is where it will stay if you don't touch it) but once you start cleaning it off, the lubricant and any other debris from the cloth will make it's way into the grooves and cause more ticks and pops.

As Handcut said (6+ years ago) Isopropanol is dangerous, so exercise your own discretion when deciding to use this method.

raretone

Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:37 am

Thanks Dub Studio, I've just ordered a dauber bottle to try your method!

Just to clarify - what detergent are you using to add to the Isopropyl? Is this washing up liquid?

p.s. are you in Bristol, UK? Or a different Bristol?!

Dub Studio

Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:30 am

raretone wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:37 am
Thanks Dub Studio, I've just ordered a dauber bottle to try your method!

Just to clarify - what detergent are you using to add to the Isopropyl? Is this washing up liquid?

p.s. are you in Bristol, UK? Or a different Bristol?!
Yeah use a touch of the old Fairy, but I guess you could use anything that stops droplets forming.

Yes Bristol UK (yes, I know Bansky, and no I can't tell you who he is :wink: )