Greasing the platter shaft

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Soniphone Records

Greasing the platter shaft

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:31 pm

I've got a slight knocking that does not occur upon every rotation of the platter, but when it occurs it can be heard through playback. I pulled the ball bearing out of the shaft that the platter sits in and it looks ok, but I think my issue is that I need to add more lubrication.

Do I use the same oil that I used for lubricating the capstan motor?

Aussie0zborn

Re: Greasing the platter shaft

Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:02 am

Might be best to specify which unit you're talking about.

fredbissnette

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:25 pm

if you are just lubing the platter shaft bearing 3in1 works or gun oil or sewingmachine oil, you only need a drop
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

Ben

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:31 pm

I had the same probleme with the mastering plate of souri.... I felt something knocking very smoothly ..... I just replaced the big heavy plate on my turntable.... just moved it a little bit and readjust it... and voila... it stopped, it's been more than a year now.

good luck