How long is your hose?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

handcut

How long is your hose?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Or, more appropriately, does hose length affect suction?

I am of course talking about vacuum hoses!

I'm currently running a 6m hose to a 1.4kW wet & dry vac rated at 90ltr/sec with no problems (other than the usual). I've got the opportunity to do some direct-to-disc lathe cuts in a very prestigious venue, however logistics dictate that the swarf/chip vacuum will be in another room that could be up to 30m away... Is this likely to have an adverse effect on suction? I would imagine so, but I've learnt the hard way to assume nothing! Is anybody out there currently using an exceptionally long hose?

I'd be willing to try alternative suction devices, but I remain unconvinced by all but the most elaborate (industrial/expensive) solutions.

powerstrip

Re: How long is your hose?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:57 pm

I think having a very wide hose would compensate for that? But we're talking high cost at that point...

pinkdressstudio

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:41 am

Put it in a box under your lathe station at your gig

Greg Reierson

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:45 am

There's very little flow in the system so hose length between the chip jar and the vacuum doesn't matter very much. I have about 15' of 2" flexible duct running to my machine room. I don't see any reason that couldn't be 100' as long as the system is well sealed.
Greg Reierson
http://www.RareFormMastering.com
VMS70 :: SAL74B :: SX74