Presto k8 rebuild and cleanup, tips and advice sought

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Gridlock

Presto k8 rebuild and cleanup, tips and advice sought

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 pm

So after 5 years cutting on this thing the arm is a little sticky and everything is just a tad funky. On a side note my transco long shank Ruby is finally dulled after the same five years. So while I save up and order a new one I want to ungum all the moving parts and maybe even put her in a nifty new plinth. SO. Aside from the motor and electronics, which are just dandy, I would like to know if anyone has any tips for disassembling the cutting arm. I. E. An exploded view (illustrated parts breakdown) and maybe any advice for resetting the lead screw setup underneath the tt, ball bearing size for the tt, and maybe a recommended cleaning solution for the moving parts. Really I was expecting to have to work today but now instead I just have free time! Thank you all in advance for your two cents! Gridlock, >sub par> records> Eugene Oregon
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

tapesandtubes

Re: Presto k8 rebuild and cleanup, tips and advice sought

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:37 pm

I had to take apart the arm and lubricate everything on my K8.

http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6305
Presto K8 | 6N