Grampian hot stylus adaptor

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Cutterwoller

Grampian hot stylus adaptor

Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Anyone got a picture of the hot stylus adaptor for the type D head? I need to make one but am not too sure of the arrangement.

Any insights?

Cheers, Lewis

ROLANDJAYS

Re: Grampian hot stylus adaptor

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:12 pm

i sell one , similar to this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cutterwoller

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:07 am

Aha, that looks pretty neat. Whats the thread gauge for the two tapped holes on the head?

Lewis

Soulbear

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:34 am

Hey Lewis,

Most British Made Electrical "Stuff" of this Vintage, almost exclusively used British Association (B.A.) Screws, Nuts and Bolts :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Association_screw_threads

They are getting increasingly difficult to obtain, however the Steam and other "Model-Making Fraternity" still use these fasteners, as do Analogue Instrumentation Makers/Manufacturers, so you can "Track them Down"
Regards
:wink: :P :D Soulbear

Cutterwoller

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:18 pm

I have managed to now make an adaptor with some stuff I had nocking around. I knew that the screws must be BA and luckily I had some of the exact screws I needed lying around.

I cut and drilled some perspex and mounted springs through and secured the springs with some epoxy. Ill solder the wires to the back side of the springs and put the heater wires in the front.

Posting a picture, hope it goes up...

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Voxster1965

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:19 pm

This is my Grampian BBC with heater mounting - hope this helps.