Is stereo embossing possible?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

marchingband

Is stereo embossing possible?

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:58 am

Greetings Trolls
I have combed the site for any info on embossing in stereo, but have come up relatively empty handed.
Has anyone succeeded at this task? If so would you be willing to share any details?

With the new stereo heads becoming available, this could be an exciting upgrade for those who love to emboss/impress!

thank you!!
yo

jesusfwrl

Re: Is stereo embossing possible?

Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:39 am

The answer is surprisingly simple: It is possible to emboss a stereophonic groove on a blank, if using a suitable stylus in a suitable head.

HOWEVER: Due to mainly geometrical considerations, it is not possible to properly reproduce such a disk, with currently available reproduction equipment.

Furthermore, none of the commercially available stereophonic cutterheads will accept a commercially available embossing stylus.

There is a certain individual called Rich Flores, who has put in a significant amount of effort in doing just that. I am not up to date with his progress at present, but he did manufacture his own embossing styli to fit a Westrex 3D cutterhead and was embossing with this setup. I am not sure if he was embossing stereophonic information though. I also have no idea if he somehow managed to get around the geometric incompatibility issue for reproduction of stereophonically embossed disks.
In any case, he would be the most appropriate person to ask.

My own efforts have been very limited in this respect. I simply tried a few things out to confirm my theoretical understanding of the matter, which I did, and thus did not pursue this any further.
I mainly cut lacquer masters nowadays, but I did experiment with a variety of different techniques out of curiosity.
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

tragwag

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 pm

also worth mentioning that peter king technically embosses stereo grooves using homemade stereo heads and sharpened victrola needles.
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

jesusfwrl

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:31 am

Indeed, I realised shortly after posting that I forgot to mention Peter King. He is also one of the nicest guys to talk to in this business, although he doesn't do internet, so you'll need to write a letter or give him a call.

With his method, there is still the issue of geometric incompatibility with common reproduction systems, especially audible on the vertical component.

diamone

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:48 pm

I don't think this is the same thing exact,ly but I know a couple guys (neither of them on here) that have been trying to emboss on old CGS linear velocity discs with the lateral on one side and the vertical on the other side. If they had two embossers and mounted an e.g. Soundscriber vertical head on one and left the CGS lateral head on the other - or whether they tried a Cook/Livingston setup or what exactly I can't remember.

I do know the other guy was experimenting with a reversed Grey Audograph stylus awhile ago (remember they have a V shaped groove only on one side with a straight edge on the other as if somebody put a letter I in the center of a V and only used half) - and I know he had a local machinist make a double-pitch lead screw for it to make room for the other mirror image groove - but that was maybe 4-5 yrs ago and haven't talked to him or the other guy since.

I'll dig up their emails and see if I can re-initialize contact and get an update.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)

jesusfwrl

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:07 am

Sounds interesting. My comments were referring exclusively to the established 45/45 stereophonic microgroove system as commonly used and (almost) standardised to the present day.
It is of course entirely possible to use a variety of different non-standard methods to record sound mechanically onto different objects, and it will work, but will most likely not be compatible with a standard consumer turntable intended for 45/45 reproduction.

diamone

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Remember though that embossing styli are never the same size or produce a groove in the same shape as a normal cutting styli - so playing back an embossed record on a normal turntable with a normal stylus is going to be only passable at best. Adding in constant linear recording (CGS/Grey Audograph/Memovox etc) just complicates matters.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)

jesusfwrl

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:19 am

Yes, that was exactly my point, along with the fact that it is not just stylus shape alone but also the plane of modulation and rake angle being different due to the common practice of tilting the cutterhead for embossing.

meltingpotsound

Sat May 27, 2017 4:28 pm

The answer is NO

I've worked on this for more than a year embossing variouse plastics and faceting two different cone tip angles for theWestrex cutter head stylus, 87 degrees and 90 degrees hoping to get a good stereo separation. It did not happened much to my surprise.

The good new is with the 87 degrees styli minus 4db from the standard 0 reference level at 7 cm, excellent audio you can actually A&B the playback and it's dam good.
The 90 degrees styli reproducing at -5db slightly less.

Different grades of polycarbonate can have more or less surface noise, CD's having the best results and Makrolon having more noise.
Rich Flores

2bitcomputer

Sat May 27, 2017 5:06 pm

@marchingband

I am interested in the fact that you were doing faceting -
Would you mind sharing what kind and size of lap you used and at what RPM?
And what material were you faceting?
Thanks...

marchingband

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:44 pm

I am not sure what you mean by faceting ... can you clarify the question?
yo

2bitcomputer

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:10 pm

The faceting questions should have been @meltingpotsound :)

Faceting is the shaping and sharpening of the cutter stylus and I'm interested in sharpening my own stylus.
There is a lot of information out there about faceting rocks and gems but I haven't found much info on faceting diamonds.

meltingpotsound

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:43 pm

No Way, Ive already tried it with my Westrex 3D cutter head using a hot stylus I fabricate and facet especially for embossing on polycarbonate discs. It always comes back in mono. http://www.lathe-cut-records.com

meltingpotsound

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:47 am

2bitcomputer wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 5:06 pm
@marchingband

I am interested in the fact that you were doing faceting -
Would you mind sharing what kind and size of lap you used and at what RPM?
And what material were you faceting?
Thanks...
I will NEVER DISCLOSE that info !