rek-o-kut help

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sat159p1

rek-o-kut help

Tue May 22, 2018 5:51 am

I've been trying to setup a rek-o-kut challenger and I almost finished.. but stucked on a thing which I don't quite understand..First - I have checked the amp and its componnents, replaced bad tubes, cleaned everything, greased everything, new rubbers for a motor housing, new ball bearing for the platter. Everything works great, inputs, speaker, selectors, switches, motor works smooth, amp is great, cutterhead and M-12 arm also. it's almost ready...

The problem is, how the rubbers move the platter (From the inside I guess), but there is amount of space between motor stick and rubbers - they are not tight by any means and it looks everything is OK. When I put the platter, 78rpm moves but it looks like its not smooth, 33rpm does not move at all (when platter is layed). What I am missing here?

video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lhw9xa5ju3i5l4/rekokut.mov?dl=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

concretecowboy71

Re: rek-o-kut help

Tue May 22, 2018 8:55 am

The rubber rollers probably need to be re-done. Check out Terry's Rubber Rollers online and he can do the job.

Also, there is an adjusting screw at the edge of each side of the slider that turns the motor on. From your pic I can see the one is dialed all the way in. This is keeping the roller away from the rim of the platter. Back that screw out until you get better contact. Between those two issues, you should be up and running.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

sat159p1

Tue May 22, 2018 1:47 pm

concretecowboy71 wrote:The rubber rollers probably need to be re-done. Check out Terry's Rubber Rollers online and he can do the job.

Also, there is an adjusting screw at the edge of each side of the slider that turns the motor on. From your pic I can see the one is dialed all the way in. This is keeping the roller away from the rim of the platter. Back that screw out until you get better contact. Between those two issues, you should be up and running.
Thanks. I will check that tomorrow. I never thought that there were adjusting screws somewhere. Rollers are new. Perfect quality. But the motor ending (is it called "pulley"?) is made of some strange material. Something between paper and plastic? Should i get something else?

concretecowboy71

Tue May 22, 2018 2:47 pm

I wouldn't change anything until you get the adjusting screw in the right place. From my experience if you allow the rubber jam too hard against the the rim of the platter you get some speed variation. I think this is because the force against the rim is pushing the rubber out of round. You have to experiment with placement of the roller so it makes contact, doesn't slip, but does not deform either.

sat159p1

Wed May 23, 2018 4:33 am

concretecowboy71 wrote:I wouldn't change anything until you get the adjusting screw in the right place. From my experience if you allow the rubber jam too hard against the the rim of the platter you get some speed variation. I think this is because the force against the rim is pushing the rubber out of round. You have to experiment with placement of the roller so it makes contact, doesn't slip, but does not deform either.
I think this is not the case. I mean you can still move the rubber rollers left and right even if that screw is backed. Have you seen a video from my first post?

rsimms3

Wed May 23, 2018 6:55 am

Have you tested this with the platter back on? If this is like the Presto, you can't check it without putting the platter back on because it has a dual pivot. When the platter is back on it takes up the slack between the rubber roller and what's called the capstan, the pulley on top of the motor.

concretecowboy71

Wed May 23, 2018 9:23 am

From your video, I can clearly see the screws pushed all the way IN. You need to back those OUT to give the largest range of motion to the pivot point. By have the screw IN, you do not allow the capstan to travel all the way towards the roller.

Do you understand what screws I am talking about? The pivot lock/switch mechanism is jamming up against it when you swing it back and forth.

piaptk

Wed May 23, 2018 10:12 pm

Clint is 100% correct.

And looking at those idlers, i WOULD DEFINTITELY Send them to Terry.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

sat159p1

Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 am

Thank you guys. It appears that everything is OK now (I moved that little srews in the 78-33 selector and now it holds the platter OK, but I get a lot of rumble/noise. Should I replace the motor shaft/ending? How do I change it? Where can I buy something similar? I think the inner (metal) diameter is 5/6" (7.9-8mm). (pic below)

PS: I know about Terry. That will be the last thing to do on my list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sat159p1

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:03 am

Sorry for the simple question, how I cut the locked groove in the end with Rek o Kut?

concretecowboy71

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 am

You pinch the silver tabs at the top of the half nut and hold it for just over a revolution and then you lift the head.

sat159p1

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 am

Thanks, will try to do it today!
M