ebay scams be careful!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

luke13

ebay scams be careful!

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am

Hello everyone I wanted to inform you about a good scam I received on Ebay in such a way that others can fall.
I sold an Atom vinyl recorder previously completely restored and working, complete with a diamond needle purchased from Myshank. After a few days an American buyer, pennyontailproducts (I'm sorry but doing an online search shows that most scammers come from America ...) bought me the machine and I sent it with an insured courier. After a few days, he opens an appeal with this excuse: the car has no motors!

The scam is based on using the ebay rules in your favor, you can sell the item as "used, as is, do not accept returns,..." but an ebay rule is that if it is not written in the description they give reason to the buyer (The machine has no motors: it was not indicated in the description so the buyer is right). In the dispute I send all the evidence, nothing to do: "we understand that maybe you're right but we can not discredit the words of the buyer". Okay I organize the pick-up with an insured courier (the object has a certain value) I contact the buyer but does not answer, I rewrite but does not answer. Last act: respond to the end of the dispute by asking him to send him the money for an expedition that will organize him! (add other money in the scam?) But in the meantime the terms of the dispute end.

Result: ebay returns the money to buyer and have also my vinyl recorder, the terms of the dispute have also passed and the dispute closes, you can not do anything.
Beautiful, be careful, do not sell on ebay or if you want to use this method to cheat other honest people like me. I am really disappointed and angry about these scammers who are on the net. Probably I will have to give up my project of restoring another machine that I had found (an Atom autorecorder 21).

Think that stupid, I also sent him a manual and the new head! :( :(

soeffingodly

Re: ebay scams be careful!

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 am

Bummer man. People suck.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

JHL

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 am

feel so sorry to hear that..maybe you can post his name and address to see if someone could help? :(

luke13

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:11 am

thanks for the support, I do not know whether to publish the contact publicly (I would not like it to blame me in addition to the scam). It's a new company recently opened in Hardy, Roanoke. But I can safely send the correct name and address as a private message.
Probably use the same technique with the suppliers of disks, stylus and accessories, suppliers you must be very careful (order, pay and then dispute with paypal or first small order and then you care for the biggest order true ...). All my suppliers and customers will be receive a black list with his name.

timinbovey

Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:45 am

I assume in the end you did receive your machine back? eBay doesn't issue an automatic refund until the tracking shows that an item claimed defective or "not as described" as been shipped and confirmed arrived at the sellers address.

I've been on eBay since they started, well over 20 years. Now, I'm in the USA. The only people who ever scammed me were in Italy and France. The guy in France bought an iPad and insisted it never arrived even though the post office said it did. Dealing with overseas eBay troubles can get weird. Eventually I sent him a refund just to be done with it. But continued pursuing and actually had the local post office in his town in France talk with the carrier to handed it to him, and they were even able to send me a copy of the delivery notice that he SIGNED when he got it! Pretty much the same deal in Italy. People just simply declare that something never arrived. If it was an inexpensive item without signature confirmation shipping it's pretty much just a case of "here's your refund". But again, these instances were 3 events out of somewhere around 15,000 eBay transactions for me over the past 20+ years. So that's hardly a percentage to worry about. Must less than, say, typical shoplifting losses in a retail setting.

Like anything with buying and selling, there are always opportunities for scammers. Although I'd say not nearly as common as some claim.

Tim in Bovey

antonn

Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:41 am

I can't believe I'm reading this!
I fell prey to the same scammer pennyontailproducts
He bought an Atom A101 from me which was fully restored and operational and complained the motor wasn't working well, which I found odd as I thoroughly tested it. I offered him a full refund once he sends the machine back to me but he filed a claim with eBay and went silent and stopped responding to my messages. He took advantage of the number of days which eBay gives these claims to settle. eBay usually rules in favor of the customer and they indeed ruled in his favor. The scan works like this, in these cases ebay refunds the customer directly and only then charges the seller for that amount, so the scammer stays with both the money and the item. And so he robbed me of my lathe and my money. I'm shocked to hear he's been doing it to more people.

Luke please pm me urgently.
Also if you have his email please share it here as he will change his username.

PEOPLE BEWARE OF ANYONE WITH THIS USER NAME pennyontailproducts
Name:
Amy Haizlip
Address:
1457 Virginia Ridge Dr
Hardy, VA 24101-3776
United States

antonn

Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:20 pm

This guy stole my $3000 USD lathe and has done the same to luke13.
Anyone else had issues with this scammer? Please share.

I did some more digging and here are the details of the eBay scammer called pennyontailproducts :
His name is Brian Haizlip, he uses the name Amy Haizlip for shipping. Wife? Mom?

He has a small record label for right-wing/nationalistic/nazi music with a similar name as his eBay username (penny on tails records) and is a member of bands such as Better Dead Than Red, The State Militia, and Empires Fall. So pretty much a tiki-torch white nationalist with side hobbies such as cutting records and stealing from people online.

His discogs profiles:
https://www.discogs.com/artist/3708265-Brian-Haizlip
https://www.discogs.com/label/741760-Penny-On-Tails-Records

Email: pennyontailsrecords@outlook.com

His address:
1457 Virginia Ridge Dr
Hardy, VA 24101-3776
United States

Pictures of Brian:

2bitcomputer

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:58 pm

"
“Find a penny pick it up, all the day you’ll have good luck.” You’ve probably heard that little rhyme, right? It actually has a pretty interesting origin.

Many ancient cultures believed metals were precious gifts from the gods and would bring you good luck when found. Though pennies are not worth much, picking them up was also considered good luck because it increased your wealth. The bad luck from pennies comes from the understanding of a constant battle between good and evil. If one thing is good, the other must be bad. If one side of a penny brings good luck, the other side brings bad.

This is where the heads up for luck and tails for bad luck comes from. If you find a penny with the “good” side up, pick it up. If the “bad” side is up, leave it be.

"

https://www.heraldextra.com/do-not-pick-up-a-tails-up-penny/article_f5b9ab28-7170-5d50-aa41-4e165d6138bc.html

luke13

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:38 am

O Shit! I confirm that is the same person! and is the same address and email address. On may of 2018 also start an official company in the Roanoke area with the same address. I am not shure but probably have used the same method to buy some blank disk....I think that a good solution for this type of person is that all suppliers of stylus, discs and accessories have this name in the black list and don't sell material so cannot use our machines!

luke13

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:45 am

For Tim in Bowery: is possible if you buy outside United States that Ebay decide to refund all money without send back the material... Ebay give you 5 days to solve the problem and pick up the machine and if you write to buyer and he don't answer you, ebay close the controversy and return money to the buyer.
I am an ebay member for about 20 years and honest and dishonest people find it all over the world, sure that when you find people like that and ebay does not listen to you it makes you very angry ...

luke13

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:59 am

Other nick names of this person:
Brian Haizlip (Scorch), Bryan, Bryan "Deuce" Scorch, Bryan Russell Scorch, Scorch

phones :
001-5408554488
336-337-1952

luke13

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:10 am

For Antonn:
Today I try to send a message to ebay with the option signal a user with the link of this page, If you want to do the same we can try to block this user...thanks Gian

LazarusLong

Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Wow.. Thanks for posting the info. This guy looks like a real piece of work. The two of you need to contact ebay and escalate the call to the highest supervisor or manager. They will look into the account and shut him down at the very least.

mischmerz

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:08 pm

Emm .. question - if you are in the U.S. - why not file a criminal complaint against the guy? I mean come on - Ebay is not a replacement for the "normal" way of how things are resolved.

m.

Gridlock

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:29 pm

Looks like this dude made some enemies in the nazi scene and he's either in a world of pain or in witness protection.
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

luke13

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:02 am

and meanwhile, do you care about people around the world? Beautiful America!

MEGAMIKE

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:08 pm

Never sell on eBay.. always on here or the local web /paper

Jacu1

No motor function Re: ebay scams be careful!

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:19 pm

I bought an ATOM 101 from misterinspace <kalbat_jq5896rio@members.ebay.co.uk> over 90 days ago. As the time is over 90 days I can cannot contact the seller and that ID is no longer on eBay. It looked pristine and the seller seemed very knowledgeable and decent. However, after doing my reading, buying a new diamond needle, 120 to 100 step down transformer and test blanks - I finally tried a maiden voyage today and found that the platter was not spinning. I check the friction wheel that engages the platter and it was not moving at all. I opened it up and everything was very clean - nothing suggesting burn-outs. I wonder if I just got sold a lathe with a dead motor. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Any tips or suggestions anyone can give me would be appreciated. I would hate to think I too got scammed on eBay. (I'm a newbie but I made my financial contribution to this site this holiday. I am so grateful for the all the knowledge I have received). THX -Jer

soeffingodly

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Jacu1 wrote:I bought an ATOM 101 from misterinspace <kalbat_jq5896rio@members.ebay.co.uk> over 90 days ago. As the time is over 90 days I can cannot contact the seller and that ID is no longer on eBay. It looked pristine and the seller seemed very knowledgeable and decent. However, after doing my reading, buying a new diamond needle, 120 to 100 step down transformer and test blanks - I finally tried a maiden voyage today and found that the platter was not spinning. I check the friction wheel that engages the platter and it was not moving at all. I opened it up and everything was very clean - nothing suggesting burn-outs. I wonder if I just got sold a lathe with a dead motor. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Any tips or suggestions anyone can give me would be appreciated. I would hate to think I too got scammed on eBay. (I'm a newbie but I made my financial contribution to this site this holiday. I am so grateful for the all the knowledge I have received). THX -Jer
I suggest searching the forum for Vanrock/ATOM and see what pops. I know nothing about those little lathes. The fact that the user ID is no longer on Ebay seems suspect though. Good luck!
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

markrob

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi,

Do you see any other sign of life when you apply power(e.g. pilot lights)? Are you sure the step down transformer is producing 100 Vac? Have you sized the transformer correctly for the expected load? Have you tried feeding it a signal and checking to see if the meter shows activity? You should also be able to hear some faint sound from the head in cutting mode. If the unit is completely dead, check fuses.

Hope that helps.

Mark