VR : Noise ID - Sizzle?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

VR : Noise ID - Sizzle?

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:56 am

Hi!

I've just changed the stylus on my VR and found a noise that i didn't have previously, i fully re-calibrated, but the noise remained and then resorted to going back to my old stylus, but again the noise was still there when it wasn't previously, on either stylus.... Cuts are generally quiet but all of a sudden this 'sizzle' noise has reared it's head.

Anyone got any idea what it could be? I've tried adjusting the weight from 13g to around 11g, it did help a little but its still there. this isn't loud enough to really affect the cuts, i just want to be able to trouble shoot it, so far i have tried full recalibration of the machine, unmodulated cuts etc but its still there.

This recording is with the stylus recently back from Souri, heat is on but the dial is on 0. I am using Myshank blanks.

Any idea's of what this could be would be great, it's likely something simple i've overlooked!

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ben

Re: VR : Noise ID - Sizzle?

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:10 am

Last time it happened to me was because of a bad alignement, try to reseat the diamond properly and make sure there's no dirt or anything in there.
Little details like that makes a whole world of difference... I painfully learned through out the years.

tragwag

Re: VR : Noise ID - Sizzle?

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 pm

weird but it sounds like broken tip to me?
I haven't used souri stylus since I first started so I don't remember exactly how that manifested in terms of noise
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com