Can anybody help ID this vintage lathe?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

StuBlues

Can anybody help ID this vintage lathe?

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi,

Please can anyone here help ID this vintage lathe?? (photo attached). I've scrolled 100's of images and can't find any other lathes distinctly similar.
I have a chance to purchase it and am trying to gather any info about its make, model, age etc, so that i can get an idea what it's worth and whether it's a good idea to proceed. I'm going see it on the wkd anyway as it looks a quality machine and am fascinated to know more about it, but I'm completely in the dark on this, so any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated before I think about making an offer.
Cheers
Stu

(Also this is my first post, so thank you to the admins for accepting my registration and hope I've done this correctly!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piaptk

Re: Can anybody help ID this vintage lathe?

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Wow. That is Kooky! I've never seen one with a head that huge that was supported by a cross bar spanning the platter like that. Pretty interesting design. Is it yours? I'd be interested to see more photos.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Prestofan

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:25 am

I believe that is a MSS lathe, made by Cecil Watts, England. Circa 1940 or so to after WWII.

StuBlues

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:06 pm

Prestofan wrote:I believe that is a MSS lathe, made by Cecil Watts, England. Circa 1940 or so to after WWII.
Wow, thank you so much for this. Have found some info on these from your description and they seem renowned as very well built. I'd naturally assume it records at both 'old' speeds of 78/16rpm and read that this is not a big issue in converting these days to 33/45 if wanted.
May I ask your opinion as this would be my first lathe if I purchase it,
What might be the major issues to look out for on inspection (eg are cutter heads replaceable/repairable if trashed) and assuming it would need proper restoration from its age, depending on use/condition, is this a viable proposition or more likely turn into an endless money pit? In other words, is it a good enough machine to be worth taking on as a labour of love.
Many thanks!!

StuBlues

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:11 pm

piaptk wrote:Wow. That is Kooky! I've never seen one with a head that huge that was supported by a cross bar spanning the platter like that. Pretty interesting design. Is it yours? I'd be interested to see more photos.
Thanks so much for your reply. It's not mine at present but will I see it on the weekend hopefully with the option to purchase. I'll try and take more photos either way, to share, if you like.
Kind regards

socialroots

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Ive always admired those machines for being so cool looking,as far as how good they cut records,im quite clueless ,but i do respect Cecil Watts work tho,and from my perspective ALL record lathes should be restored to a functional order,no matter the quality of the records it can cut. Left unused and neglected its just garbage,and we dont need more garbage!
Endless money pit....well i hate to tell u that if u dont want to be or cant afford the NEVER ending amount of money cutting records involves,then this game is not gonna be for u.
Do yourself a favor and read what Mike Dixon of PIAPTK has posted in the newbie section,its a very true and valuable advice written to inform anyone who is thinking to get a lathe and cut records and the dues u gonna have to pay inorder to be up and running with the record cutting game. My fav alltime quote from Mr.Dixon is" if your asking about how much its gonna cost,or if you can afford it,then record cutting is not for you"! Or Something like that. Sorry Mr.Dixon if i miss quoted u!
I definitely cant afford it but,and my wife would rather i stop spending so much TIME n MONEY into something that doesnt seem to be able to barely enuff to keep buying plastic n diamonds.
She says im just like a junkie,and she is right,i do it cuz im addicted!
So ,if u dont want none,dont start none!
Maximum respect,
Patrick

Soulbear

Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:30 am

StuBlues wrote:Hi,

Please can anyone here help ID this vintage lathe?? (photo attached). I've scrolled 100's of images and can't find any other lathes distinctly similar.
I have a chance to purchase it and am trying to gather any info about its make, model, age etc, so that i can get an idea what it's worth and whether it's a good idea to proceed. I'm going see it on the wkd anyway as it looks a quality machine and am fascinated to know more about it, but I'm completely in the dark on this, so any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated before I think about making an offer.
Cheers
Stu

(Also this is my first post, so thank you to the admins for accepting my registration and hope I've done this correctly!)
Hi There, and welcome to the forum. This is most definitely an MMS Lathe check this out :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7nKa_aHyR8&t=574s
and here also :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptfIHqyOtHw&t=15s
Take a look in here :-
MSS Lathe Type CLED-3-3 Manual.pdf
MSS Portable Lathe.pdf
Hope this helps
Regards Soulbear :wink: :) :D :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.