VR suction problem

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Ibai

VR suction problem

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 am

Good afternoon, I introduce myself, my name is Ibai, nice to meet you.

It is the first time that I write in the forum and it is to see if someone could help me with a problem that has arisen since the stylus change.

Something has changed since then and now sometimes it doesn't suck the chip and it even gets stuck in the stylus...I've been testing different weights for days, trying different styluss, adjusting and readjusting ... something I must be avoiding and I'm a little frustrated and desperate.

The counterweight is at 45gr and the cutting head between 10-15gr (testing and without positive results). The head seems to me to be completely parallel to the blank. Stylus is new, and have tested another one new and two other old stylus with same result.

MyShank’s stylus and blanks

Thank you in advance for reading it and take care of yourself all in these days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PMST

Re: VR suction problem

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:00 am

Have you checked the vacuum system? I had a suction problem once and realised that there was a small split in the hosing just before the vacuum itself.

Do you have heating on the stylus? If you have, then for sure turn that off until you get to the bottom of this, it could even be that, but i'm just suggesting as heating wasn't mentioned in the post. Also another issue could be static buildup in the tube itself, i actually suck up a little bit of talcum powder once a week through the vacuum tube, i live in bulgaria and at certain times of year static can be an issue.

So does this still happen when cutting an unmodulated groove (amp off), no stylus heat after making sure there is no suction leak in the system?

PMST

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:00 am

Just noticed in the images you are using a cork mat, i'd suggest you to use a rubber one, like the one that came with the unit, or buy a neoprene mat, i use a 5mm one

Ibai

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:14 am

Good morning PMST, thanks for your help.

Sorry, I haven’t use stylus heating, and it happens when I cut a silent groove too...

I already checked and dismounted before suction jar and hose, cause I observed that chip was stuck into the hose. I clear it and talcum gived to avoid static but was still failing.

I have both mat, rubber and neoprene, I bought and I use that cork one cause someone tolds me that it was better for static...Will try now both of them.

Thanks again, and take care!

PMST

Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:54 am

Do you have another vacuum you can test? the one i got from souri slowly died over 12 months, i started getting issues for a few weeks and was unsure what it was, but it turned out the vacuum was just getting worse and worse before failing completely. Might be a good test to check if it is from that end just inc are the actual suction is becoming too week?

Also might be worth trying to set the suction tube a little closer to the stylus, looking at the image it could maybe go a touch closer and lower to the record as well

tragwag

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:13 pm

this used to happen to me a lot more, make sure you're drying off the stylus after you clean it,
try clearing the chip tube, and using an anti-static spray in the tube
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Small Run

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi Ibai,

It could be a number of things but I've found the main culprit is either too much stylus heat (which you don't use) or too much heat on the disc or a combination of both.

See in image one how the chaff is bundling and sticking together, this means it's kind of melting - too hot.
If it were a suction problem then the chaff wouldn't do this and would just spiral out with the record.

Try cutting a cooler disc.
Stay Well
SR

Discomo

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:25 am

Have you tried removing the chip-jar and connect the transparent plastic tube straight to the hose of the vacuum cleaner? The jar is pretty flimsy, especially the lid, which easily gets tears in it. I connected the small tube to the cast iron connection-piece.
After each cut I open and close the small slide on the hose of the vacuum cleaner, to quickly remove any build up of swarf; because it also tends to build up in the beginning of the hose or cast iron piece

Also, the iron tube should be closer and lower. Simply as low and close as possible. Check after a testcut if you don't hear the sound of the suction in your cuts.

Jesus H Chrysler

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:36 pm

I'd position the vac tube a little closer and lower. I sometimes have this problem with a fresh stylus, but it usually goes away after a few cuts.

Ibai

Thu May 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your answers, and sorry for not answering, I have been out for some days...

I have been trying and trying and wasting and wasting blanks...

I try with different positions of the suction tube as you suggest me, thanks. Sometimes I could cut one or two blanks, and suddenly it starts stucking and there is nothing to do...

As I said I don’t use stylus heating and I always cut about 24/25centigrades in the room and never heat the blanks more than 24/25centigrades.

Will try again tomorrow reapplying your advices.

Thanks again guys, and take care.

Discomo

Thu May 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Ibai wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:03 pm

As I said I don’t use stylus heating and I always cut about 24/25centigrades in the room and never heat the blanks more than 24/25centigrades.
That’s a bit too low. Cut between 40-50 degrees celcius.
And the room temperature doesn’t matter. My room temp is just average. 20 degrees or so. The only thing what counts is the temp of the blank. I’ve placed a very strong lamp above the record, which I sometimes alternate when it’s close to 50 degrees. Measure the temperature of the blank at the spot where the stylus is.

Discomo

Thu May 07, 2020 3:52 pm

Another thing, It looks like your stylus doesn’t cut in the right angle. Position the cuttinghead thus that the stylus is in an exact angle of 90 degrees towards the blank.

Ibai

Thu May 07, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks Discomo,

Will check angle of stylus tomorrow, but if head is parallel to blank shouldn't it be at the correct angle? I never manipulated the angle of the head, until now I have had this problem...and always have tried to be parallel to the blank.

Thanks again.

Discomo

Thu May 07, 2020 4:15 pm

Well, even with the head parallel to the blank, the stylus is slightly off 90 degrees, so best is to correct this. But on the pics it looks as if your stylus is off more. Maybe it's the way it's photographed. It's unlikely, but is it possible it got bend somehow?
Here's some information about angles: https://www.vinylrecorder.com/angle.html

Ibai

Fri May 08, 2020 2:31 am

Good morning,

I’m trying to get 90 degrees with the stylus to the blank and I couldn’t get it to its place, I can't lift my head any more.

If it is bend I don’t know how could it happened, but I see that tip so strong to bend it unintentionally.

I’m trying to lift the head with the screw on the left of head, is it right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Discomo

Fri May 08, 2020 2:44 am

Probably it's not bend.

You alter the angle of the head by adjusting the big counterweight at the back. Be careful not to spill the oil from your dashpot.

Did you (also) try cutting with 40-50 degrees blank temperature?

Ibai

Fri May 08, 2020 3:28 am

Good morning Discomo,

I heat at 40-50 degrees celsius with Souri’s blanks, MyShanks blanks never more than 25 degrees celsius.

I haven’t use the big counterweight to set the angle, I only use it to weight 45/50gr to balance the head. There is something I’m missing sorry.

Ibai

Fri May 08, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi,

Could someone help me with how high my head should go? All the day trying to fix it and I don't even know how it was ...

Discomo

Fri May 08, 2020 4:43 pm

I’ll post a pic tomorrow. A tip, always make a photo or marks on your VR what the original positions were.

Hope you’ll be able to fix the swarf problem soon. Did you see the vid with tips in the other swarf topic?
If that all doesn’t help, maybe you can post a vid of how you cut + how your set up looks? There should be people here who can help you.
Last edited by Discomo on Fri May 08, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ibai

Fri May 08, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks Discomo! I will start marking positions of course.

Yes, have been reading the other topic, cause these days I have had the same problem especially on last minutes of side B of blanks...And now I've despaired trying to fix it.

Thanks again, and have a good night.