Drop Out Vinyl Recorder

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Discomo

Drop Out Vinyl Recorder

Wed May 06, 2020 6:13 am

Hi,
I have a drop out problem on my Vinyl Recorder, on both left and right channels simultaneously.
The sound drops away for a few seconds, then it's back again (it's also in the cut). It happens quite regularly. But it's also ok for a longer period.
Can anyone help me with finding the cause of this issue?

Thanks

soeffingodly

Re: Drop Out Vinyl Recorder

Wed May 06, 2020 7:53 am

I have had this happen as well. Super, super intermittent. Unfortunately, I do not know the cause or solution. I'd love to find out what the actual deal is.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

soeffingodly

Wed May 06, 2020 8:06 am

Discomo

Wed May 06, 2020 9:38 am

@soeffingodly It may well be a problem again with the din connectors on the cuttinghead. They've been a bit wobbly before, thought I repaired it. I just bought some connectors with bajonet. Hope this will solve this.

Discomo

Wed May 06, 2020 9:46 am

soeffingodly wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:06 am
Not sure if it is the same thing:

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8557&p=54582#p54582
Thanks for reminding me of this thread :)
I'll go through the checklist of Din, iso, fuseholders.

Discomo

Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 am

Have to do more cuts, but the problem seems to be solved by changing the din connectors for din's with a bayonet lock.

Discomo

Sun May 10, 2020 11:35 am

Since I still have the same drop out issue, I've looked further.

Just found out there's another fuse inside the plug which goes from the 12v to the main unit.
Reseated this one. We'll see if this betters the situation.

IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1326.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2bitcomputer

Mon May 11, 2020 6:01 pm

Maybe you have a bad pot on the main unit?
Turn the gain pot back and forth with the head up (no need to be cutting) but the amp on, and a known source or tone playing, and listen to the head and see if you can make it drop out?
I would check all the pots in the main unit like this - just to rule them out...

Discomo

Tue May 12, 2020 1:15 am

2bitcomputer wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:01 pm
Maybe you have a bad pot on the main unit?
Turn the gain pot back and forth with the head up (no need to be cutting) but the amp on, and a known source or tone playing, and listen to the head and see if you can make it drop out?
I would check all the pots in the main unit like this - just to rule them out...
Thanks, I'll try this as well. This drop out is a persisting problem which keeps turning back.

SueDenim

Tue May 12, 2020 4:39 am

Sorry if this has been said before or you've already thought of it... but you really need to figure out where in the signal chain your drop-out issue is occurring.

If you had a set of conditions under which the problem always (or nearly always) occurred then it would be easier.
Once you can replicate the drop-outs consistently then you can move through the signal chain, from the source to the cutting head, checking the output of each of the components.
That will at least pin-point exactly where the problem is being introduced.

Good luck!

Discomo

Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 am

SueDenim wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:39 am
Sorry if this has been said before or you've already thought of it... but you really need to figure out where in the signal chain your drop-out issue is occurring.

If you had a set of conditions under which the problem always (or nearly always) occurred then it would be easier.
Once you can replicate the drop-outs consistently then you can move through the signal chain, from the source to the cutting head, checking the output of each of the components.
That will at least pin-point exactly where the problem is being introduced.

Good luck!
Hi Sue. You're completely right.
Tracing problems is not my best character trait it seems.
I took your advice to heart and it seems the problem was entirely somewhere else in the chain! In fact it seems it was merely a faulty connection between my interface and d/a converter. I Iso'd it and for now it seems to be working again.
Funny I haven't thought of it before to search for the problem in a more structured way. Perhaps it's because the brain stopped working after a certain point. :D
Have a nice day.

SueDenim

Wed May 13, 2020 11:52 am

Excellent! Glad I could be of some help. :D

I totally understand - It's quite easy to start second guessing yourself after you've been searching for the solution to a problem for days and weeks.
Hitting the reset button and starting again is sometimes the only way!

Discomo

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:43 am

SueDenim wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:52 am
Excellent! Glad I could be of some help. :D

I totally understand - It's quite easy to start second guessing yourself after you've been searching for the solution to a problem for days and weeks.
Hitting the reset button and starting again is sometimes the only way!
Hi Sue,

like to come back on this one. Forgot I posted this.

After your advice I tracked down the problem and finally solved it a few weeks ago.
After first having thought to have solved the problem by cleaning plugs, the issue came back again.

Finally I found out it was a clockproblem of the converter. The samplingrate of my two Euphonix converters (D/A and A/D) were not synced correctly in my RME interface.
This led to small pops and ticks in recordings in Pro Tools and lead to drop outs in playback.
I corrected this by changing certain information in the software of the interface.

Strangely, I've never had this issue in the last 6 years, with the same configuration. Maybe it was sheer converter luck.

Cheers.

SueDenim

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:28 am

Fantastic!
Nice job in working the problem and figuring out exactly where the issue was being introduced ;)

RedSpadeRobyn

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:35 pm

Just want to give props to SueDenim and the other contributors on this post. You all are so helpful, selfless and wonderful humans. Just a quick appreciation post. <3

soeffingodly

Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 am

RedSpadeRobyn wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:35 pm
Just want to give props to SueDenim and the other contributors on this post. You all are so helpful, selfless and wonderful humans. Just a quick appreciation post. <3
SueDenim is awesome. Mad love to the other contributors as well. I live for reading this stuff. Especially being new to my VR. THANK YOU. =)

PS BIG UPS to the solution follow-ups!