How to use and Test presto k-8 lathe

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

kingsebas7

How to use and Test presto k-8 lathe

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:31 am

Hello everyone, does anyone know how to use the presto k-8 lathe, can I just plug it in to a regular outlet without damaging it? and how do I know if the head for it works? Thanks in advance for the help

piaptk

Re: How to use and Test presto k-8 lathe

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:15 am

That is a pretty big topic to hope to be solved in one thread.

However, there are a lot of previous threads on this forum about operating a k8 and general cutting and testing methods. Use the search button to search for k8. Also search for the newbie starter guide i wrote. It will answer a lot of questions right off the bat.

I also sell two hour blocks of skype/facetime tech support calls that will probably save you 50 hours of searching and combing through the site trying to piece together info on your own. Ive trained over 150 people for cutting on various types of lathes over the last 15 years.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

soeffingodly

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 am

piaptk wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:15 am
That is a pretty big topic to hope to be solved in one thread.

However, there are a lot of previous threads on this forum about operating a k8 and general cutting and testing methods. Use the search button to search for k8. Also search for the newbie starter guide i wrote. It will answer a lot of questions right off the bat.

I also sell two hour blocks of skype/facetime tech support calls that will probably save you 50 hours of searching and combing through the site trying to piece together info on your own. Ive trained over 150 people for cutting on various types of lathes over the last 15 years.
+1 to Mike, he taught me a TON about cutting records.

I suggest spending a little bit of $ upfront and get some coaching. I wish I did when I started with my original K8. Good luck!
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

NickGrooves

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Curious to know, if you don't mind sharing, is this the same lathe you had posted about selling a few days prior? Change of heart?

soeffingodly

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:46 pm

NickGrooves wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:16 pm
Curious to know, if you don't mind sharing, is this the same lathe you had posted about selling a few days prior? Change of heart?
Same lathe model but not the same lathe. I sold my Presto stuff last year. As far as I know the gent who got my K8 still has it.

I just wish I had a nice, portable, small K8 with 1C head... VR Stereo is great but I still got love for Presto.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."