help wanted with project/vintage acetate blanks

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

treeforest

help wanted with project/vintage acetate blanks

Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:05 pm

I hope this is the right section for this post, my apologies if it isn't.

I'm looking for someone who can help me out with a project I've been working on -- it's an album that will (hopefully) be released as an acetate record (single copy). However, I'd also like it to use an NOS blank (audiodisc emidisc etc) as the base (it's for sentimental reasons, I can elaborate more if anyone's curious).

Is there anyone out there with a stash of vintage acetate blanks & a lathe who'd be able to help out? If so, shoot me a message and we can discuss further (scope of project, pricing, technical details etc.) Thank you :) !!

diamone

Re: help wanted with project/vintage acetate blanks

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 am

I doubt very seriously that a vintage blank could even be recorded on, even with a heated cutting stylus.
Nitocellulose acetate is said to be ``alive'' when it comes out of the factory and after curing, has a shelf
life of a number of weeks or months after which it starts to dry out and harden.

Trying to cut a years-old or decades-old blank would result in presumably a very high noise floor similar to cutting
on a laserdisc or CD not to mention probably damaging your cutter stylus and clogging up your vacuum system.

However there are plenty of ways to look retro. Lots of places have the original yellow, blue, orange or green cardstock that the e.g. Audiodisc etc labels were originally produced on and same for Soundcraft or EMI or whatever.

If you prefer Presto with the green logo imbedded into the acetate, that's not that hard to accomplish either. Much easier and safer to do the recreated retro look than going vintage.
2 Kinds of Men/Records: Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is mod. fidelity, cheap, & easy. WR is High Fidelity & Abrasive to its' Environment. Remember that when you encounter a Grumpy Engineer. (:-D)

Aussie0zborn

Re: help wanted with project/vintage acetate blanks

Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:57 am

I have 30 year old lacquer discs and I would never think of putting a stylus anywhere near them. Perhaps an Audiodisc or an Emidisc label on a fresh lacquer could give the same end result unless ofcourse your are making a counterfeit Beatles acetate that can sell for tens of thousands of dollars.