Tim de Paravicini, Rest In Peace

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Tim de Paravicini, Rest In Peace

Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:33 pm

Tim de Paravicini, Rest In Peace.

He was a member of our extended community. I will admit that I am unclear on whether he was an actual poster on the Lathe Trolls site.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tim-de-paravacini-rip

Please contribute your knowledge and remembrances of him to this thread.

jesusfwrl

Re: Tim de Paravicini, Rest In Peace

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:25 am

A belated obituary:
Tim de Paravicini passed away on December 17, 2020, aged 75, in Japan, taken by liver cancer. Although I received the sad news on the day, I was unable to write this earlier.

Born in 1945 in Nigeria, Tim dedicated his entire working life in audio, having worked for a number of companies including Luxman, Quad and Michaelson & Austin, before starting his own, EAR Yoshino. Known as “the Baron”, he was of British and Italian descent, and was actually a Baron proper.

He was a member of our community, active on the forum and on the relevant groups on facebook.

Tim privately owned a Scully disk recording lathe, was occasionally cutting masters at the Exchange in London and had used his EAR 549 vacuum tube power amps as cutting amplifiers on a couple of Neumann lathes.

He was known for his modification of tape machines, his personal favorite being the Studer C37, which he modified with custom electronics and heads, creating 1” two-track stereo machines running at 30 ips.

I was fortunate enough to have enjoyed several lengthy conversations with Tim over the years, on the topics we both shared a passion for, namely disk recording, tape recording and vacuum tube electronics.

He held strong views and was not known for his subtlety in expressing them. Most of all, he was one of the few people who did not even bother trying to fit in with the trends. Who remembers his use of no less than 20, yes twenty, 12AX7 tubes as the OUTPUT stage of an amplifier...?

He did his own thing, he set a few trends along the way, and he certainly contributed a lot to the advancement of high fidelity sound recording and reproduction.

He will be missed by many in the audio industry.

Dan Schwartz shared his memories of the Baron in Copper Issue 127:
https://www.psaudio.com/article/on-the-baron-tim-de-paravicini-in-memoriam/
~~~ Precision Mechanical Engineering, Analog Disk Mastering ~~~
Agnew Analog Reference Instruments: http://www.agnewanalog.com

Steve E.
Site Admin

Re: Tim de Paravicini, Rest In Peace

Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:14 pm