Diamond stylus on FAIRCHILD

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Alfred

Diamond stylus on FAIRCHILD

Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:25 am

Hello to all the TROLLS¡¡¡
I have a problem....
I have done a bit recordings no more than 1 minute with a diamond stylus resharped by MYSHANK.
Unfortunatelly in all of them appear distortions a grat distorsions all the time.In attachment an example of what I'am saying.
Also I had a few seconds of rose sound recording to see the spectrum. Assuming that my cutter head has limitation in high frequencies, with the diamond stylus I get better results thant the carbide needle using the embossing technique.
I think resonances and distortions are not present in the spectrum, or at least I can't distingish them. Also in attachment you will see the spectrum
Then I checked with the empossing technique with my carbide needle and these distortions are not present in none of the recordings I have had.
Really I don't know what can I do. I understand the diamond needle should be in a good condition for recording without distortions. I have see the needle in the microscopie and of course there are none damage on it.
I don't know what to do anymore. I pray you could bring your help please....I start to be desperate
Thanks.
Alfred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alfred

Re: Diamond stylus on FAIRCHILD

Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:04 am

Hi again,
I forgot to say that the stylus was resharped by MYSHANK it does not reach a month ago. It's no that I had it a long time
The sample song now in attachment
Your comments will be much appreciated

Alfred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

socialroots

Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:30 pm

What material are you cutting on?cutting angle and weight is all so critical as well. Are you leaning back the same as you are when your embossing?
Maximum respect,
Patrick

Alfred

Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:30 am

Hi,
finally the problem of the distorted sounds it has been solved.
It was all due to a lack of weight in the stylus.
Due to the fear that I had of damaging the needle, I did not apply more than 14 gr. weight following the advice of MyShank, but for my configuration it was not enough, so by chance I discovered that with a little more weight the distortions disappeared and I had a good recording.
The final weight for my set up PRESTO&FAIRCHILD is 20 gr.
Thx ¡¡¡