Recordette 3

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

morrisjer

Recordette 3

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:28 pm

Hi Guys,
I have a Recordette 3 by Wilcox-Gay. Today I cut a record as I spoke in the microphone. I played it back and it sounded muffled like I had a pillow over my face, plus low volume even though I had the volume UP while recording. Any clues about what could be the culprit? It is a tube device. I even used DEOXIT on the buttons too but undoubtedly that was not the problem.
Many thanks,
Jerry

tragwag

Re: Recordette 3

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:44 am

that's about the best results I've gotten with my Recordette.
you could try getting a magnetic head, or getting the crystal head repaired but that's the only option for upgrading these WG machines
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

morrisjer

Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:53 pm

Thanks for your message. I did get the crystal head repaired and it works great when playing records but sounds muffled when I record.

emorritt

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:14 am

If I remember right, the Recordette series had a built-in microphone; little plastic thing that stores in the lid of the unit and a cloth bound cord goes down through the turntable deck into the machine. This is also a crystal element mic, which what you're describing indicates that it needs to be rebuilt as well. I had one of these years ago and in addition to the cutting/playback cartridge, I took the mic apart and rebuilt it with a new piezo element. It's not easy, as these were sealed enclosures, which means you have to cut it open to get the work done, then somehow re-seal it to protect the "guts". I'm assuming you have already checked the tubes and re-capped the unit as well.

morrisjer

Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Thanks